Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: JIG of the WEEK !

Post Thanks / Like

Default JIG of the WEEK !

Or maybe I should have titled this thread JIGS of the week …..
    some ask me how I know what color they are going to bite when I show up with just a few colors in my pocket . have heard it multiple times and to be sure it really isn't the key very often .
    the article on the home page about the particulars is a great article and goes into depth to some degree on crappie behavior . crappie for sure are not smart and can be pretty easily duped into biting something that does not look like crappie food to a human and is TOTALLY the wrong color and even shape and size .
    spoonminnow makes his own homemade things all the time and lots of them just aint right looking at all . but to be sure he gets fish to bite them .
    this in turn is more proof in the pudding that its mostly about getting the offering to look and act and SMELL and maybe even sound like its edible .
    so I say this , be confident , be patient , be persistent , be a predator and in the end ketch a predator !
    keep asking yourself if I was a crappie where would I be at this time of day and what would I eat ? would my food source be frisky or lethargic ? would it be small or large ? would it be slightly noisy ? how visible would it be ? etc etc etc
    and NEVER say NEVER ….
    here are photos of the different things I tossed this week at multiple locations in rivers and lakes that got into lips along my travels .
    with of course a couple of selfies in the mix to keep it "reel" ….
    hope you enjoy the photos and read
    have a safe and happy holiday
    and......KABOOM
    sum kawl me tha outlaw ketchn whales

Post Thanks / Like

Great report and pics! You definitely used a variety of good looking and effective jigs! Do you usually use a “tandem approach?”
    I can do all things through Christ, who strengthens me.

Post Thanks / Like

Excellent post and some great suggestions! Thanks!
    "A voyage in search of knowledge need never abandon the spirit of adventure."

Post Thanks / Like

There he goes, act'n all smart and smug - kinda like me after I catch a bunch - like yesterday in fact! I confirmed EVERYTHING you mentioned and more.
    Sorry if it seems like I'm hijacking this thread, but it's only to add supporting examples and further evidence of your findings.

Every time I go fishing, it's to confirm the validity of old ideas, test new ones and keep an open mind no matter how tempting to stay biased when it comes to design and/or color. As Ketchn stated, I make my own lures and composite lures using the parts of two lures fused with a candle. This way lure shape variety and colors can be tested no matter the water or fish species. Yesterday was perfect for testing some new ideas - some similar to what Ketchn showed.
    I used the same color green in a few shapes and caught fish:

The lure on the left was made by joining the tail ends of two worms. The one on the right - the front parts of the same worms were fused. Both were wacky rigged (hooked in the center) using a 1/24 oz jig. Of the 55 fish caught yesterday, the two accounted for over a dozen fish of different species: crappie, bass, sunfish.

A shortened worm in the same color rigged the usual way did as well:

Like Ketchn's lures, shape and color were optional - none of either was rejected - but size did matter. To long and the lure was not hit; but the increased girth of body or parts seemed to do even better! Here is a composite made from the claw of one bass lure added to a grub body:

First of all, I never considered red pearl a color pan fish would bite. Second, the parts were thicker but still had a unique action.
    It caught fish like no tomorrow!

...and caught fish as well as the smaller claw with bulkier body:

... including this rather large channel cat:

To wrap up, take everything Ketch says seriously when it comes to keeping an open mind. Fish are dumb and motives for the strike are something assigned by anglers - not fish that are simply enticed to strike. It's so much more fun catching fish on lures not restricted to what they usually feed on or the hottest new lure of the day or hour. The sky's the limit as the original post proved. Thanks for posting.
    Last edited by Spoonminnow; 09-01-2018 at 09:00 AM.
    Likes KyTyer, S10CHEVY LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Be a predator you say......

CONFIDENCE is one of the biggest things I think puts feesh in the boat....

And yes i'mma predator too.....LOL

Post Thanks / Like

Wow! I believe you all could put a stick on the end of a hook and catch a fish in a stump hole.:rolleyes: I can't figure out why they are always taking lockjaw when I go fishing. Keep up the good work. I will be looking forward to seeing more of your reports and pictures for sure.
    Be safe and good luck fishing

Post Thanks / Like

You always have the right jig from your pictures. Must be fun catching them.

Post Thanks / Like

Looks like a good week!Nice writeup and catch.

Post Thanks / Like

Good post and nice bunch of fish.

shipahoy41 is offline Crappie.com Legend - 2022 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Thank you for this post. You definitely had fun my friend.
    Aquatic Species Removal Engineer.
    May God be with you. Keep CALM and STAY ANCHORED with your faith.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast