HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: High Rock lake question

Post Thanks / Like

Default High Rock lake question

Hey folks, I live in Hickory NC and new to Crappie fishing. I'm originally from western NC and fish mainly Fontana, Bear and Cedar cliff and Glenville lakes targeting Trout, Bass and Walleye. I don't believe I've ever caught a crappie until last week. My wife is from Hickory and that's all she talked about from her childhood was crappie fishing with her grandfather so I've been hitting up the local lake here in Hickory and trying my hand at it, so I'm going all in here it took 3 trips to Lake Hickory before I could find a good location not being familiar with the lake. I heard about High rock lake through this website and NC Game and Fish magazine specifically the issue that ranked the lakes by area and I can't remember the the exact rank for High Rock but was in the top 5, but I do remember Hickory was 25th. Any way I'm getting long winded here, wife and I were coming up to High Rock this weekend and I was hoping some of the locals could steer me in a fair location. I've done some research all ready and familiarized myself with main points of the lake like Abbotts Creek, Swearing Creek and Flat Swamp, and one location talked about an old railroad bed underwater, even found an old issue of Game and Fish that gave me some grid coordinates. So I'm semi prepared but hopeful I can get some guidance from folks that regularly fish the lake.

Thanks in advance
    Likes BigDawgg LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Hi,
    I can give you a little advise or help if you like to fish brush piles or structure using minnows or jigs. If you would like some help just private message me and i will give you a few tips.

Post Thanks / Like

PM sent
    Thanks

Post Thanks / Like

Been catching some pulling cranks in 12 to 15 fow. Look for any type of contour change such as a point. Pulling bandits.

Post Thanks / Like

Most docks on HR hold crappie because most people put brush around their docks. Pitch a jig around just about any deep water dock and you should catch a crappie. Depending on water clarity clear use light color stained or muddy water use darker.
    Difference between day and night: Day= one rod, one jig/Night= Many rods & a bucket full of minners
    Thanks SuperDave336 thanked you for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Labor Day Weekend can be very hectic in some areas of the lake. Flat Swamp Creek might give you a little more pence of mind. Go down hwy 8 all the way to just past beach access to ramp access on right. Head down creek to s turns and look for fish and bait schools on sonar. There are several shallow markers you need to beware of. Get minnows at Mimi's on the way down. Good luck and keep all the white Perch.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for all the advice guys.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for all the info guys, I totally forgot about the Labor Day rush last official day of summer, I bet there would be a lot of boat traffic. I need all the help I can cause my little girl is given me the look not catching a crappie, her papa has her hooked on trout ponds over the summer break, tuff explaining the difference to a 6 year old. I have limited funds on crank baits and trolling rods but ultr light set up with minnows, few roadrunners, do have a pretty good selection of jigs is no problem. Again thanks for all the advice!