Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Water clarity and high temperature relationship with of fish aggression

Post Thanks / Like

Default Water clarity and high temperature relationship with of fish aggression

Last year was bad for algae bloom in many local waters. The fishing didn't seem to be too affected in the waters I fished but there were some dead fish in others. In southern NY, the rainfall has been ridiculous and kept the algae at bay, but the amount of algae stain is still noticeable. So, for the heck of it I thought, why not use thicker lures that are more easily detected by the lateral line and eyes? So made some with thicker bodies or tails, length the usual 2". It couldn't hurt....

Granted, there is no way I can prove the thicker baits' easier detection was key, but at least I know that fish no matter how small, didn't shy away from baits having more mass.

This is what I've used and others like it before that day:

They also worked but not as much in the same water on the same day.

The other theory I was batting around regarding thicker lures was the territorial nature of predators of any species. Get too near a rattlesnake, you get bit same as for any wild animal. When water reaches temperatures over 80 degrees like it has here for the last two months, fish get a little antsy maybe due to higher metabolisms and an in increase nervous energy. Add territoriality to the mix and a lumbering lure as pictured in the post, might just get more fish to strike.

Many of the strikes recently were on the light side like they are in the colder water of spring. It's almost if they aren't in the mood to strike, but have no choice. In fact many of the fish I've caught have empty bellies, usual for late summer, meaning less feeding happening until water temperatures begin to drop signaling the beginning of a seasonal change.

In waters with less algae, the strikes have been more aggressive and pronounced, though in both types of waters the variety of soft plastic designs that catch fish is great. This weekend is going to be much cooler and bring water temperatures down. It should be interesting the change in fish aggressiveness in the algae-bloom plagued waters.
    Last edited by CrappiePappy; 08-30-2018 at 09:06 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Here the feed bag is on and they poop all over the place when they come out of the water . But to be sure in this case the lethargic bite is likely due to the so much food why work at it program .
    sum kawl me tha outlaw ketchn whales