HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Lunar tables and crappie catching

Post Thanks / Like

Default Lunar tables and crappie catching

Anything to the lunar tables and catching crappie? I've never been a big believer in that, I just figure fishing is better early in the morning and late in the afternoon. Me and a long time friend have been discussing this so I thought I'd see what you guys had to say.

skeetbum is offline Crappie.com Legend - Moderator Jig Tying Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I go when I have the chance, but have found the charts to be useful.
    Creativity is just intelligence fooling around
    Likes Alphahawk, Jamesdean, CUonthelake LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Between 2001-2004 I fished 5 days a week 365 a year...barring lightning. From 2005-present I have fished 3-5 days a week barring lightning....windy very cold weather. I used to keep records religiously.....but as I have aged I have slacked up on it. I never could say with certainty that the bite was better. I do like Skeet....I just go. Now I’m sure some will chime in with other info. While I do look at the tables I do not fish by them because I’m going to go when I want to.

Regards

Sent from my iPad using Crappie.com Fishing mobile app
    Likes cevans, Cropduster1968, Jamesdean LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Dad always asked me if the moon phase made me eat or not? I think it matters with the spawn, but crappie are gonna eat.

Sent from my iPad using Crappie.com
    Likes Cropduster1968 LIKED above post

cevans is offline Crappie.com Legend * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I watch my 2 house dogs and how active they are and have for years as well as the wildlife, comparing the lunar tables and are pretty good with the exception that will really screw them up is the weather pressure systems that move through the area. As always, best time to fish or hunt is the back side of a high and the front side of the low if you can catch it perfectly as everything is super active and in a feed binge. Pressure systems seem to play more into screwing up the lunar tables more than anything. There again, just like everybody else, I go hunting and fishing when I can no matter what the air pressure or lunar tables say.

PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM GEEZER
    authorized by: Billbob and "G"
    Likes Countryboy N.C. LIKED above post
    Thanks catchNgrease thanked you for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by CHECrappie View Post
    Dad always asked me if the moon phase made me eat or not? I think it matters with the spawn, but crappie are gonna eat.

Sent from my iPad using Crappie.com
    You can still sit down and eat dinner rain, sleet and snow. However, if you had to catch everything you ate, you'd be at a disadvantage during certain Moon and weather patterns.

I do not have the experience to say whether moon phase makes a difference in fishing, but fish are animals, and the more I think about it, the more continuity I see between mammals that we all observe and fish patterns.

Post Thanks / Like

over years of fishing and hunting i do see more activity during the major and minor feeding periods, but this seems to be more accurate during a new or full moon. i never let the tables dictate weather i fish or not.
    Likes Jamesdean LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

You can't catch them if your sitting inside looking at the tables.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Crappie.com Fishing mobile app

Post Thanks / Like

I have been watching the lunar tables for a few years and here is what I have come to believe.

The moon phase is a factor in fish activity but, not as much as weather or time of day. I have had great days when the tables said it was going to be poor and I have been skunked when it was supposed to be excellent. Knowing the body of water you are fishing, where to find them and typically what they like to eat are the biggest difference makers.

Just this summer I stopped looking at the tables and just went fishing when the opportunity presented itself. I have had a great summer catching Crappie and I didn't let some silly moon phase get into my head.
    Likes badbull LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

We go fishing when we can. When I was younger, I use to pay attention to the tables, but after many years of fishing under various conditions, I do not really believe they pay a factor in my success. Local weather patterns however, do.
    "A voyage in search of knowledge need never abandon the spirit of adventure."

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast