Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Looking to buy a new boat. Need advice

Post Thanks / Like

Default Looking to buy a new boat. Need advice

I have been looking at boats for a little while and have came down to 3 right now that I like. I will post price and type of boat. If you own one similar can you please give pros and cons that you like or don't like about it, no bashing a product, just what you like or do not like. If you have purchased one similar and got a better price, let me know that as well so I might have some bargaining power. If this post is out of line I apologize in advance and please remove it or put it in the correct posting area.

2017 New Triton CTX 75HP hold over. Original price was 22,176, sale price is 18 thousand.
    2018 New Ranger RT 188 with Minnkota Maxxum 70 thrust, Lowrance Hook 7 and Lowrance Hook3 with Yamaha SHO 115HP $26,465
    2018 used Ranger RT 198 with 6 hours on the motor. Maxxum 70 Minnkota, Hook 7, and 150HP List price new was 35,000 used price $28,250

Post Thanks / Like

Buy the 198, those are some fine rigs, it and the 188. Both sit lower in the water than the Triton and will be less effected by the wind.
    With the ACT tournament just a couple weeks away at Grenada I am sure the boat given for first prize will be for sale, they have been going for 18k to 20k. It's a 25k certificate for a 2018 RT 188 with a 115 on it, if not mistaken the certificate can be applied to whatever you want from Ranger, just have to wait on the order.
    Good luck, new boat or new to you boat shopping is stressful but in the end it's a lot of fun.
    1990 Stratos 285 Pro 200 HP Merc
    SpyderLok Rod Holders
    Proud Member of Team Watch The Finger!!!
    (662) 458-8925
    Likes skeetbum, 1187mg LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Look over on walleye central for reviews on Ranger aluminum boats.

Sent from my iPhone using Crappie.com Fishing mobile app
    Eric
    Likes Rees Guide LIKED above post

skeetbum is offline Crappie.com Legend - Moderator Jig Tying Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

If the Ranger and triton aluminum are still pretty close to each other, the 188 would be my choice. Rees also had good advice. Tried to trade my glass boat to a guy that had a 188 and he would have none of it. Good storage for a metal boat, good layout.
    Creativity is just intelligence fooling around

BAMA S is online now Crappie.com Legend and AL Moderator * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Heard good things on 198. John Doe has 188. It fishes good to. But I would go longer for better ride.
    Likes SpeckledSlab, 1187mg LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Sea ark ....
    sum kawl me tha outlaw ketchn whales

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ketchn View Post
    Sea ark ....
    Your post is fine right where it's at. But Ketchn ain't quite right! lol Is no Sea Ark on the list gewber.
    Owner
    "Wear your PFD" "No texting n driving" slab
    Crappie.com members are the best

Javelin 180 is online now Crappie.com 1K Star General * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I would say the 198 it has a pad hull and to my knowledge the 188 doesn't that makes a big difference in the ride.
    Likes blueball LIKED above post

jigfisherx is offline Crappie.com 1K Star General, MO Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like

I’ve been a Ranger 198 a couple of times this summer. This is a really nice ride.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    God bless Charlie Brewer and Bobby Garland.

Post Thanks / Like

We had a R61 Ranger fiberglass. Sold it and now have a RT178. If I would have had room to store the RT188 that is what I would have bought.

We put a Minn Kota Ulterra with iPilot on it. It has auto deploy and stow. At my age that is a great feature. Actually I don't get much chance to use it because my wife really loves it. Laying tracks makes long lining much easier since we do not have to steer the boat once you have a good track laid. The Ulterra is 80 lb thrust and we can get about 2.5 mph. But the Rt178 is about 100 lbs lighter that the 188.