Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Buying rod/reel for a youngster?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Buying rod/reel for a youngster?

I need to purchase a few rod/reels for my younger children, ages 5 thru 10. Part of me says to buy a cheapie $25 Shakespeare combos at walmart. The other part has me looking into the future and wants to spend more for something that will last a lifetime. I'm a big fan of Bass Pro's combos and own a few of them... brand name reel on a house-brand rod. So what would you do?

Post Thanks / Like

depends on lots of factors . if they are going to use them 50 times a year you might want to go with a bit better stuff . if they are going 5 times a year not so much . if they have "fishing" in them and are up on the sport you might want to give them something even nicer .
    hard to say but the good news is you are going to get them some rod and reels it sounds like to me .
    sum kawl me tha outlaw ketchn whales
    Likes Redge, skiptomylu LIKED above post

catchNgrease is offline Crappie.com 3K Star General * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

6' G3 Ugly Stick paired with a 1000 series Shimano Sienna

Sent from my E6810 using Crappie.com Fishing mobile app
    Likes elkhunter LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

As for the rods, that depends on the type of fishing they will be doing...Pushing, pulling, one poling, casting, etc.....For reels, I would stick with the cheaper ones. I have a few Diawa Sweepfire reels that were only about $14-$15 that I have had for several years and they still work fine. Good luck and go make some memories!!!

Post Thanks / Like

I sincerely believe that the biggest mistake a lot of anglers make, when starting off their potential young fishermen/women, is to go cheap. Nothing will turn off a young angler faster than equipment that fouls up and creates delays & problems. You do not have to spend hundreds of dollars, but trying to get away with a $15.00 combo at Walmarts is just not going to cut it. Not if you want them to enjoy their experience on the water with you and want a repeat outing.

That being said, there are plenty of good quality starting outfits you can put together yourself. I would definitely start them out with a spincasting type reel/rod combo. Pick out each reel and rod just like you were getting it for yourself. Do some online searches for opinions on various makes of spincast reels (the Zebcos are hard to beat these days). Rods you can select yourself by feel at the store. Or online if you are comfortable with that.

Best accessory you can get though is a small colorful tackle box with lots of colorful and "mysterious" lures (plastics & jigs). Along with some hooks, bobbers and split shot of course. Let their imagination go crazy! They'll love you for it.
    "A voyage in search of knowledge need never abandon the spirit of adventure."

Post Thanks / Like

Default Buying rod/reel for a youngster?

My wife and kids gone through a half dozen very cheap Zebco/Shakespeare combos in the past two years. I keep on trying to get an Omega for my wife, but she seems to like throwing the $15 walmart specials away. I bought my 6 year old a $35 Zebco 33 platinum combo last fall. It has been great. She's caught a lot of panfish and brush on it, and catfish up to 10lbs. I'd recommend it.

Sent from my iPhone using Crappie.com Fishing mobile app
    Eric

Post Thanks / Like

You are investing in their future!!!Don't go cheap!
    Likes need2befishin LIKED above post

"D" is offline Super Moderator and 2023 Crappie.Com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

When buying for my kids/grandkids, I buy the same quality that I use. If they decide they don't like it for some reason I keep it. lol The cheap stuff usually does not last and causes frustration.
    Team Overalls Travel Squad

FISH for LIFE

HUMANKIND......be both
    Likes need2befishin, Eagle 1 LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

I am on the side of the fence that suggests quality. Nothing more frustrating than equipment with flaws and causes problems. I would get the mid line BPS branded combos.
    Likes Eagle 1 LIKED above post

Redge is offline Crappie.com Legend - 2017 Man Of The Year
    Post Thanks / Like

I am all about quality, however I have been very impressed with the Barbie, and Scooby-Doo poles.
    They cast a mile.

Sent from my iPhone using Crappie.com Fishing mobile app
    Proud Member of Team Geezer!

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast