Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Feeding the fish

Post Thanks / Like

Default Feeding the fish

There is a nice big pond here on the property of the hospital where I work.The folks who have worked here way longer than me say it has bass and crappie in it, but nobody ever fishes in there but a few times a year. I went out Saturday and caught a couple before the wind blew me off the water, but these things are SKINNY. I want to start feeding the critters to get them healthy and growing. I thought about buying the cheapest cat food I can find and tossing a few pounds every day or so. Any suggestions? I am guessing it's about 1.5 to 2 acres in size and I was told it is around 12-14 ft deep in some areas. Don't have sonar on my little jon boat yeat.

bobberdown is offline Slabmaster II * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

You might be wasting your time. A pond that size that has crappie in it and has no fishing pressure at all, the fish may be over populated and stunted. Feeding would just be a very temporary fix.

Post Thanks / Like

So in other words, I just need to get out there and thin the herd so to speak.

Post Thanks / Like

Do not put in any cat food. It can cause some health problems to the fish later on-if you constantly feed them plus the dog/cat food scare going on. It sounds like there are stunted fish in the pond so first, you need to take as many as you can out of the pond. If you want to feed them, the best thing you can do is go to a fish hatchery and buy several pounds of fathead minnows. All they are is food fish, they don't grow to amount to anything. I don't know how big the pond is but it sounds like you will need a few pounds of minnows to fatten them up after you've taken some fish out.