HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: MINNOW TANK IN THE BASEMENT

Post Thanks / Like

Default MINNOW TANK IN THE BASEMENT

Likes BarryG, scrat, Gindog, Quailtail, Skippa Chippa LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

funny you posted this. I kept my old freezer that stopped working a year ago. I told my wife I was going to make a minnow tank out of it. She asked if it would work. I said yes. Well a year later I still have not converted it. I have not decided how I want to set it up. I do have well water though. Thanks for the video.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by crappieseeker View Post
    funny you posted this. I kept my old freezer that stopped working a year ago. I told my wife I was going to make a minnow tank out of it. She asked if it would work. I said yes. Well a year later I still have not converted it. I have not decided how I want to set it up. I do have well water though. Thanks for the video.
    hey buddy get it going .you wont regret it.you can put it outside if your winter are not to cold.

Post Thanks / Like

Would be nice if I had a basement, lol! So here everything is hot in summer when I would use minnows, but I would love to be able to do that so I could get some of the Rosey Red Minnows. Have to get them from out of state though so need to get a lot so this would be perfect for that, but the heat here I think would make it not a good idea?

Skip

Peak Vise Dealer
    Tying Materials, Chenille and Hackle
    For Pictures of my Crystal, Nylon/Rayon or
    New Age Chenille Please PM Me! Also I
    have the Saltwater Neck Hackle and some
    colors of Marabou plus other things!

Post Thanks / Like

i have had a half plastic barrel tank in my basement for years too. i have a 2liter bottle hanging on the inside with filter(scratch pad stuff) in it. i use a garden pond pump(cheapy from harbor freight) to pump the water in the top of the bottle. the outlet is cut into the bottle and aerates when it falls back into tank. as OP stated you wont regret it! i have used mine for anything from minnows to gills used for flatheading. if you dont have a basement put a tank in the ground and make a cover. a half barrel isnt hard hole to dig.

if/when you build a tank start small. get a couple gills or something from nature (if legal where your at). you need to get the filter up and running/living. a brand new system isnt capable of keeping water clean when overloaded. i also only change half the filter mats. at a time, to keep it running good. i can keep 30 4" gills in it with no problem. i change out a bucket every week or 2 just to help but have went a month without.

i have been giving aquaponics some serious thought, since the tank is already there. very interesting deal if you guys havent heard of it.
    Thanks SuperDave336 thanked you for this post

Post Thanks / Like

nice setup confederate!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by river scum View Post
    I have been giving aquaponics some serious thought, since the tank is already there. very interesting deal if you guys havent heard of it.
    Gardening, hydroponics and aquariums are other hobbies of mine. Thought aquaponics would be to hard in garden or greenhouse area since I have no power but now I’m curious about doing with crappie smaller scale in garage. Typically tilapia is used but won’t overwinter here. Any fish would work don’t know why I didn’t think about panfish.

Post Thanks / Like

Post some Picts guys

CrappiePappy is online now Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I would just be sure you had good ventilation in your basement, before having a large minnow tank in operation there. Not only for the "aroma" that's likely to come from the tank, but also for the water evaporation that's going to occur.

Even with a bio-filter, my 30gal aquarium let me know there were fish in there whenever I got close to it.
    Likes crappie curt LIKED above post