HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Summertime crappie have me clueless.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Summertime crappie have me clueless.

Good morning guys.Ive recently been searching for crappie with my brother at our Home lake.Ive been out in a Name:  IMG_9511.jpg
Views: 1555
Size:  20.8 KBboat with a Lowrance HDS Carbon.Our lake doesn't have any timber over 5-8 foot deep.So we have been searching the points near the main creek channels.I continue to find schools of fish that look like crappie to me.We have vertically jigged every color we have and have a hard time getting bit.Our lake has a ton of big Shad so now I'm wondering if it's Shad I'm locating or crappie.Heres a pic of our Shad size to compare.Ive been skunked the last couple trips so ant and all advice is appreciated.

Sent from my iPhone using Crappie.com

Post Thanks / Like

Is there any other structure besides timber?

Laydowns, bolders, rock piles, pvc, sharp ledges or brush piles..... maybe?

Post Thanks / Like

A few basic questions:
    1. lure or lures used
    2. line type(s) used and # test
    3. presentation: retrieve type or trolling (if so) and speed
    4. depth(s) fished
    5. confused by this statement:
    I continue to find schools of fish that look like crappie to me.
    I never have seen schools of anything except white perch feeding near the surface in huge numbers. The only way I know for sure what's in a school is catching fish after fish of the same species or a mix of two species in the same area for reasons I can never be sure of.

Sonar/lures-hit are the only way I can be sure of what's hitting and where. This year has been strange so far and though I've done well with many species, crappie success has been more sporadic with few good numbers and quality.

Good luck, keep at it.

Post Thanks / Like

There is no man made structure due to the state not allowing it.There are a few small points that have drop offs on them.We tried to fish them but the wind kept pushing us off.Heres a few answers to the other questions.
    1.Baby shads,tubes and custom hand tied jigs in all colors.Small Crappie crankbaits and swimbaits.
    2.6 pound hi-vis Suffix
    3.Vertical jigging and casting.
    4.We fished the fish that we marked on the sonar.They were in 8-12 fow.
    5.The lake is overloaded with schools of shad.Im not sure I can tell the difference between crappie schools and large shad schools.

Redge is offline Crappie.com Legend - 2017 Man Of The Year
    Post Thanks / Like

I have had large shad fool me in the past.
    I’m with SK, rock piles, Ledge’s....

Sent from my iPhone using Crappie.com Fishing mobile app
    Proud Member of Team Geezer!

Post Thanks / Like

Ive seen several guys pulling crankbaits around the points and drop offs.Im gonna by some flickershads and bandit 300's to try that.I could also hit another lake about 50 miles away that has a lot more standing timber.

Sent from my iPhone using Crappie.com
    Likes theygotaeat LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jackson87 View Post
    Ive seen several guys pulling crankbaits around the points and drop offs.Im gonna by some flickershads and bandit 300's to try that.I could also hit another lake about 50 miles away that has a lot more standing timber.
    Does the lake have shallow flats, shorelines or rocky areas near drops or shaded areas depending on time of day?

Suggestion: use a fluorocarbon leader of 4 or 6# test with the Suffix. Others on this forum also prefer it for different reasons.
    Suggestion: try casting soft plastic lures rigged on 1/32 and 1/16 oz jigheads that are not curl tails or Sassy Shad tails, used the way you did curl tails. Here are two examples: Crappie Magnet grub and Slider worm:

I can always count on them at various depths and near or on fish attracting structure. These are not trolling or straight retrieve lure designs. Feeling for the light strike on a non-steady retrieve has allowed me knowing when to raise the rod and allowing the fish to almost set the hook for me. (note: a light action rod is key! I prefer 5'6" or 6'.)

Frank

Post Thanks / Like

Yes it has a lot of shallow flats,a ton of Lilly pads,and some rocky areas.I typically bass fish this lake and hit those areas to get fish.I also usually follow the shad that are busting the surface and catch a few white bass on a rip and rap.I have a couple packs of the crappie magnets.Ill give them a try.

Post Thanks / Like

Sounds like the waters I fish - great variety to search!
    Another question: what time of day or time span do you fish?
    Most of my best catches are from 10am to 6pm and on days with a light chop on the water.

Post Thanks / Like

I fish after work.Usually from 6:00pm to dark.Do you guys think live minnows would help me any?

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast