HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Trailer tires

Post Thanks / Like

Default Trailer tires

I have new tires and wheels for my trailer do I need to balance them

Sent from my SM-J327P using Crappie.com Fishing mobile app

Post Thanks / Like

YES !!!! by all means, if they're very far out of balance it will eat up the tires same as it would on your car
    smiles are contagious, spread them around
    Proud Member of the ZIPPER Club
    & Team Geezer
    Likes JET4, SpeckledSlab, Cane Pole LIKED above post

PawPaw Gene is offline Crappie.com 2012 Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Most definitely, not only will it cause wear if they are out of balance but it will cause a lot of vibration to your axle and to your boat. I've worked in the tire business for some years and I've only seen a couple of tires that were not in the need of balancing.
    "gene"
    "G" Gone but not forgotten!!
    Thanks SpeckledSlab thanked you for this post

Post Thanks / Like

And another, even more critical factor to pay attention to, is Air Pressure. Unless you have regular 16" car sized tires on a large bass boat, make sure your trailer tires are inflated to the maximum pressure stated on the side walls. The smaller the trailer, the more critical this becomes. Early tire failure and blow-outs can occur on underinflated tires.
    "A voyage in search of knowledge need never abandon the spirit of adventure."
    Thanks bandchaser thanked you for this post

Post Thanks / Like

I have always balanced them before for the reasons you guys have stated above. Today I took the wheels to Walmart and asked to have them balanced before I installed them on my trailer. The guru tells me nobody balances trailer tires they don't need it, I tell him to humor me and balance them. It was then I posted the question to see if science had changed the rules on tires that travel at 60 to 70 mph down the highway, and it seems the only change is young people today really don't have a clue. Thanks for restoring my confidence I'm not losing my mind. Tires are 13" and are inflated to 50 lbs as stated on the sidewall. Love the people on Crappie.com.
    Likes dennishoddy, RogerA, Blackhawk19 LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mikie View Post
    I have always balanced them before for the reasons you guys have stated above. Today I took the wheels to Walmart and asked to have them balanced before I installed them on my trailer. The guru tells me nobody balances trailer tires they don't need it, I tell him to humor me and balance them. It was then I posted the question to see if science had changed the rules on tires that travel at 60 to 70 mph down the highway, and it seems the only change is young people today really don't have a clue. Thanks for restoring my confidence I'm not losing my mind. Tires are 13" and are inflated to 50 lbs as stated on the sidewall. Love the people on Crappie.com.
    I’ve ran on to the same thing. I always ask my trailer tires be balanced and get the same reaction you got.
    Then I remember they are in the tire replacement business. Makes sense to balance on the consumer side.
    Likes wannabe fisherman LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dennishoddy View Post
    I’ve ran on to the same thing. I always ask my trailer tires be balanced and get the same reaction you got.
    Then I remember they are in the tire replacement business. Makes sense to balance on the consumer side.
    biggest laugh I've ever gotten from a tire place is, "We can't change trailer tires, they won't fit on the changer" Thought I'd
    smiles are contagious, spread them around
    Proud Member of the ZIPPER Club
    & Team Geezer

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by wannabe fisherman View Post
    biggest laugh I've ever gotten from a tire place is, "We can't change trailer tires, they won't fit on the changer" Thought I'd
    Took mine to Tire Discounters and they've never blinked at changing & balancing them, filling them with nitrogen. I'd have been too, if they'd told me "they won't fit on the changer".
    Likes wannabe fisherman LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

I think most people ( wrongly) assume since it doesn’t shake the steering wheel when pulling a boat there’s no need to balance the tires

Sent from my iPhone using Crappie.com Fishing mobile app

Post Thanks / Like

Not if they are trailer tires. Balancing serves no purpose on a trailer except to make the owner feel good.

Sent from my XT1710-02 using Crappie.com Fishing mobile app
    HOI Crappie Club
    Where family and friends come to compete for a little more than bragging rights.

Quick, someone teach me how to fish so I can win this tournament!!!
    Likes Crestliner08 LIKED above post

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast