Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: I see em, can't catch em.

Post Thanks / Like

Default I see em, can't catch em.

Crappie marking on Helix 10 Mega at two different locations in about 24 feet. Schools were near the bottom 5 feet of water column. Water temp 87, sky clear. The schools were big but only caught 2 fish. Caught one pulling a crank before I even saw the school and next came on a jigging spoon. I jigged every color Bobby Garland I have, jigged with a spoon and even came back with minnows. The minnows died almost as soon as they saw that 87 degree water. Any advice on how to catch crappie like this and how to deal with minnows that die as soon as they see lake water?

skeetbum is online now Crappie.com Legend - Moderator Jig Tying Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm thinking that those fish were down close to the thermocline and above that there is oxygen and below it, that's very low. If I went too deep in conditions like that, minnows died very fast. My standard advice when see but can't catch is to downsize and slow down. You may have thrown every Bobby you had but did you change the head weight? The one you caught on a crank was probably a reaction bite, not dumb luck. Stay with em, try different things and let us know what works. You're teaching us too.
    Creativity is just intelligence fooling around
    Likes 1187mg LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Don't know how to catch them but you may try mixing some lake water with the water in your minnow bucket. I was having trouble keeping shiners alive when they hit the water. The guy I buy shiners from told me when I get to the lake to pour half the water out and fill it back with lake water next time I went I did that and they didn't die. Could have been just been the minnows were better, but it is worth a try.

Post Thanks / Like

Try kicking up your speed a bit. Sometimes you just got to force a reactive bite. How fast are you pulling those cranks? Both cranks & jigs can sometimes be enticed when the speed is well over 1 mph.....closer to 2. That goes with plastics too. Minnows I know nothing about.
    "A voyage in search of knowledge need never abandon the spirit of adventure."

Post Thanks / Like

I was pulling the cranks at 1.2mph with my trolling motor. I caught a few the other day pulling cranks but didn't mark fish on structure like I did today. The thermocline is about 25 feet. While in 50+ feet I could see it very well on my Helix. I did try different weight jig heads but no luck. To make matters worse the ski boats decided to hit the creek right where I had my marker buoy out. They got a 32000 acre lake and have to be in the same creek as fishermen. The main lake only had a few passing pontoons.
    Likes skeetbum LIKED above post

skeetbum is online now Crappie.com Legend - Moderator Jig Tying Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Frustrating for sure. It's jet skis here. Sounds like you have an idea of what you need to do. Slab sauce the jig, it always helps me. Good luck Brother.
    Creativity is just intelligence fooling around

Post Thanks / Like

they do that sometimes and I swear sometimes you just cant make em bite ,,,,,I would downsize to a whisper though and tip my jig with a pc a minnow if all else fails .
    sum kawl me tha outlaw ketchn whales

"G" is offline Super Duper Moderator - 2012 Crappie.Com Man of the year & 2018 Crappie.com Decade of Exceptional Service Awards * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

Kick those cranks up to 1.5 to 1.8 mph

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Crappie.com Fishing mobile app
    I have spent most my life fishing........the rest I wasted.
    PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM GEEZER
    PICO Lures Field Rep

Post Thanks / Like

I've caught lazy crappie rip jigging with these before,reaction bite for sure.Name:  image.jpg
Views: 359
Size:  27.7 KBName:  image.jpg
Views: 332
Size:  27.7 KB

Post Thanks / Like

At that depth water clarity is pretty low. Try using lures that you use at dusk and daylight. Any lure that gives off vibration will help. Or use a jig and body with a little meat for scent. If they aren't hitting with the speed that your moving try stationary shaking. We do it all the time while ice fishing when the fish are in a negative mood. Get your lure into the correct depth and just barely wiggle your pole side to side and up and down no more than a couple of inches. Or hold your pole in one hand and slightly tap the blank with your other hand which will make your lure jiggle and shimmy in place.