Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Crank trolling speed (Jim Duckworth)???

Post Thanks / Like

Default Crank trolling speed (Jim Duckworth)???

I have been learning the world of crappie cranking, most posts and articles I have read say 1.5-2mph, until I read a article written by Jim Duckworth, who fishes my local lakes. He said when the water is above 75 degrees he pulls at 3mph. That’s a big difference! I tried pulling that fast but with my b’n’m pst polls you can’t even tell if you get a bite they are bent so much lol. What’s everyone’s opinion on it? Thanks in Advance!

Post Thanks / Like

Pretty fast but i say let the fish tell you what they like. I usually start at .9 and will pull that my first contour then go up in .2 incraments

Sent from my SM-N920V using Crappie.com Fishing mobile app

Post Thanks / Like

Just let the fish tell you. I have pulled at all speeds and in the end 80 percent of caught fish for me comes from approximately 1.7 mph. Good luck.
    Likes "G", Jwater, Slabprowler, Rees Guide LIKED above post

skeetbum is offline Crappie.com Legend - Moderator Jig Tying Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

That seems a bit fast to me, but I'm not a pro. .9 to 1.6 is about all I get.
    Creativity is just intelligence fooling around

"G" is offline Super Duper Moderator - 2012 Crappie.Com Man of the year & 2018 Crappie.com Decade of Exceptional Service Awards * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

That seems too fast for me.....I have tried 2.0 and 2.2 when it was real hot and the bite was slow....but never any faster than that. My usual speed is 1.8
    I have spent most my life fishing........the rest I wasted.
    PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM GEEZER
    PICO Lures Field Rep
    Likes Dutchman LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah I think I’m gonna stick to under 2mph as well. Thanks guys!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Nate926 View Post
    I have been learning the world of crappie cranking, most posts and articles I have read say 1.5-2mph, until I read a article written by Jim Duckworth, who fishes my local lakes. He said when the water is above 75 degrees he pulls at 3mph. That’s a big difference! I tried pulling that fast but with my b’n’m pst polls you can’t even tell if you get a bite they are bent so much lol. What’s everyone’s opinion on it? Thanks in Advance!
    Jim used to troll using his big motor instead of a trolling motor which explains the higher speed. I have seen him doing it on Percy Priest Lake. I believe I heard him at a seminar say he went 2 - 2.5mph. That was at least 10 years ago. Not sure if he still fishes. He was having some health problems about 2 years ago. I have trolled at 2mph and have caught fish on that lake.
    Crappie Time

Post Thanks / Like

Usually about 1.3 to 1.8.Sure some will go a bit faster/slower but somewhere in there is the usual sweet spot.Pick a speed and watch your rod tips--They should be dancin'...If not speed up/slow down til they do...You can also run them next to the boat to look for a good speed /wobble...Personally I like 1.5- 1.8 most of the time.
    Good Luck and catch a bunch.
    Likes trypman1 LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

I hardley ever pull that fast,but we did one day prefishing for a tourny.We were putting the poles out and already catching fish before we got them all out.Once we got them all out my buddy said arnt we going alittle fast,i looked 2.7mph.I told him why slow down if we are catching fish,lol.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nate926 View Post
    Sent from my SM-S907VL using Tapatalk
    Likes "G" LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Shad View Post
    Jim used to troll using his big motor …....
    I believe I remember him advocating making lots of "S" turns. In that case, the inside lures are going much slower.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast