HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pushing Cranks??

Post Thanks / Like

Default Pushing Cranks??

First and foremost I am still less than a year new to the whole trolling/spider rigging world so always learning. I have seen a lot of good topics about pulling cranks out the side of back and heard of pushing but don’t know the hows to it?? Do you use the same setup as far is rigs and rods? How do u keep cranks out of the trolling motor? Do u push at the same speed you would if you were pulling? Currently running a 6 pole hi-tek rig and 16’ ACC trolling rods. Any insight would be awesome.

skeetbum is offline Crappie.com Legend - Moderator Jig Tying Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Front of the boat, slightly left and right of the trolling motor with your longest rods. They need to be stout as you will see in a minute. Heavier line to a 3 way swivel, a 2 oz weight with a split ring and duo lock snap to make it easier to remove or change weights, the third leg has a leader about 3' with another duo lock snap. Lower them down by releasing the anti reverse ans counting until the desired depth is reached, which for me was guesstimated until the fish told me I was in the right depth. I used to push four and pull 6 or 8 and was right busy more than once and had to stow some rods I couldn't keep up with. Just the way I did it, hope it helps some.
    Creativity is just intelligence fooling around
    Likes SlabSeeker0485 LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

All my rods are the same length so wasn’t sure how that would work. I guess just have to keep as much separation as possible and only run 4. I am having a hard time picturing these setups with the drops and snaps and swivels. Can u run it like a normal Capps and Coleman setup except the weight on the bottom drop and crank on top shorter drop?

"G" is offline Super Duper Moderator - 2012 Crappie.Com Man of the year & 2018 Crappie.com Decade of Exceptional Service Awards * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

use a trolling weight 3 ft. ahead of your crankbait...no drops.
    I have spent most my life fishing........the rest I wasted.
    PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM GEEZER
    PICO Lures Field Rep
    Likes ArkieJason, blueball LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by "G" View Post
    use a trolling weight 3 ft. ahead of your crankbait...no drops.
    I guess I need to look up trolling weights. Do they clip in line or what?

"G" is offline Super Duper Moderator - 2012 Crappie.Com Man of the year & 2018 Crappie.com Decade of Exceptional Service Awards * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

They have a swivel built in on one end and a line tie on other end. ....tie your main line to one end....then tie 3 ft. of line to the other end...tie a snap on that and snap your crankbait on. I use 3 oz. weights and I push at 1.8 mph. Here is a crank pushing depth chart. Name:  Screenshot_2015-05-30-08-04-55_resized.png
Views: 295
Size:  128.4 KB
    PICO Lures Field Rep

Post Thanks / Like

They have a swivel built in on one end and a line tie on other end. ....tie your main line to one end....then tie 3 ft. of line to the other end...tie a snap on that and snap your crankbait on. I use 3 oz. weights and I push at 1.8 mph. Here is a crank pushing depth chart. Name:  Screenshot_2015-05-30-08-04-55_resized.png
Views: 295
Size:  128.4 KB
    Perfect! Just what I needed to know. Now if I only knew my ACCs could handle the 3oz weight

Post Thanks / Like

https://www.basspro.com/shop/en/bass...olling-weights

Tie 3 oz. of weight on one and see how much it bends the rod...If not that bad....go push cranks.
    PICO Lures Field Rep
    Thanks SlabSeeker0485 thanked you for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Pushing....you control depth by the weight

Pulling you control depth by length of line out.

Pulling depth chart...... Name:  Screenshot_2015-06-29-15-17-29_resized.png
Views: 344
Size:  39.0 KB
    Some use braid...I use 10 lb. mono
    PICO Lures Field Rep
    Thanks SlabSeeker0485 thanked you for this post

Post Thanks / Like

https://www.basspro.com/shop/en/bass...olling-weights

Tie 3 oz. of weight on one and see how much it bends the rod...If not that bad....go push cranks.
    What is “not that bad”? I push double minnows with 1/2oz and it’s a slight bend. Obviously 3oz is gonna be a lot more.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast