Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Snap Weight Clips

Post Thanks / Like

Default Snap Weight Clips

Just wondering what you guys use for weight snaps.

I bought the set from Cabelas, and the snap has to be the worst design ever. The lever faces forward, if the weight bumps bottom once or twice it will flip open. Goodbye weight.

DaveB40 is offline Crappie.com 1K Star General * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Go online to Offshore Tackle, or just Google "offshore tackle OR-16 Pro snap weight clips".
    This clip has a pin in the center of the pad. You just put your line behind the pin and your
    set. We use these for walleye and salmon fishing. They work great and I've never had one
    that released prematurely. I do use the "Snapper Adjustable", but only on my inline planers.
    Hope this helps!
    "Both politicians and diapers need to be changed often and for the same reason" President Ronald Reagan

Proud Member of "TEAM GEEZER"

skeetbum is offline Crappie.com Legend - Moderator Jig Tying Forum
    Post Thanks / Like

When I trolled cranks on a three way swivel I used 2 oz weights with a split ring and duo lock snap and had no issues. If you're using bottom bouncers I have no experience. Having the snaps made storage easier by being able to remove the weights.
    Creativity is just intelligence fooling around

Post Thanks / Like

i just use wire threw an egg and attach the wire to my swivel. (first loop so i doesnt ride on the leader knot)

Cray is offline Crappie.com 2019 Man of Year, Supermod & Moderator of the Mechanics Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Go to eBay, look for the 0r16 snap weight clips. Searching through there you will find some from China that are a bunch cheaper and work just as good. Just like you I bought a bunch of those cables clips and every time I tried to land a fish pushing cranks it would bump side of boat and there went clip and weight.
    Proud Member of Team Geezer
    Charlie Weaver USN/ENC 1965-1979

Post Thanks / Like

Rubber core sinkers work great too. I use Off Shore OR16 clips a lot of the time when not running my guppies in line.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Atimm693 View Post
    Just wondering what you guys use for weight snaps.

I bought the set from Cabelas, and the snap has to be the worst design ever. The lever faces forward, if the weight bumps bottom once or twice it will flip open. Goodbye weight.
    If you use a straight wire snap swivel, you open it up and slide a bullet weight on, and close it back up.

Post Thanks / Like

Are you using these for trolling or pushing crank baits? For tight lining I prefer a egg sinker that slips on the line. I would like to mod this method some how so the weight can be removed or changed easier. Right now I just make sure the weight is up inside the rod sock when transporting the rods. Don

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by D Johnson View Post
    Are you using these for trolling or pushing crank baits? For tight lining I prefer a egg sinker that slips on the line. I would like to mod this method some how so the weight can be removed or changed easier. Right now I just make sure the weight is up inside the rod sock when transporting the rods. Don
    Yes, pulling cranks in the summer. Weights allow me to reach the thermocline without unspooling a mile of line.

I like the snap weights because I can unclip the weight if I get hung up to use a plug knocker, and it's easy to change weights.