Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Mark Twain Bank Fishing

Post Thanks / Like

Default Mark Twain Bank Fishing

Anyone know some good locations on Mark Twain Lake that I could take my kids to fish for some crappie from the bank? I want to get them out there and need a decent location where they have the opportunity to experience catching something.

Thanks,
    Zeb

Post Thanks / Like

Wish i could help ya Zeb. I'm not to familar with bank fishing up there. During the spawn i've had good luck to the left at Ray Behrens access, all the way to the back. This can be reached through the campground then walk down to the water. You need to be all the way back, though. I think Bruce or some of the regulars can tell ya a lot better and safer areas for the kids. good luck, Dave Oh yea, I have seen some fishing around the South Fork access, this would probably be much easier...

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the input. We might give those a shot and see what we can do. 2 boys that are excited about getting out and catching something.

Post Thanks / Like

Zeb, have mainly fished Mark Twain by boat, but do remember catching good crappie in the area below the dam. (re-reg dam or something?) Also some of the launch areas look like there may be areas for you to fish from the bank with little ones. Good Luck!
    the trick to catch that finnicky speck....
    gently set the hook just before the peck

Post Thanks / Like

Zeb, witch part of the lake will you be fishing? And do you have a map of the lake? Several of the ramps have coves that are a easy hike for kids. that produce crappie when they are on. I usally fish south, middle and north fork areas. If you know where Buzzards Roast is then there are several trails that will take you to coves or ditches that would have crappie during spawn, some may be lenghty hikes though depending on ages of your kids, but there is a place N.E. of the small shelter that I see several people fishing and I too have had luck there. If fishing is poor they would at least enjoy the park.

Post Thanks / Like

zeb, lots of places, just look for coves. many do the bank fishing and find success. not many will part with exact locations but look form 45 degree slopes in coves, timber laydowns and rocky banks.take long poles and you should catch fish, but i would get away from the major boat ramps and find the public access areas. try around florida and the state park area. good luck.