Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Richard Gene spooling line video

Post Thanks / Like

Default Richard Gene spooling line video

Just watched the new Richard Gene video on spooling line on spinning reels and was wondering if anybody does it this way? Not at all saying it's wrong the mans been catching fish probably for as long as I've been alive. I've always been told to set the spool on end and let it come of counterclockwise. Only told to lay the spool horizontal when spooling baitcasters. Had never heard the part about the glue seeping through either. Just curious on everyone's thoughts and how you do it. Thanks.(I'm not saying anybody's way is right or wrong just looking at how others do it and have good results)
    Likes jackie53, KyTyer LIKED above post

jackie53 is offline Crappie.com Legend * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

The Fishing machine must be doing it Right. Never seen a Tangle, Birds Nest Ect and he uses 2 lb Test.
    Have Tried his Method Works Great.My Two Cents.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J120A using Crappie.com Fishing mobile app
    John 3:16
    Blessed to have as many friends as fingers on your hand is a blessing!!!
    "Gone fish'n not wish'n"
    In God We Trust.
    Can God trust us.
    Likes KyTyer LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

I've been using this method for about twenty years:

Post Thanks / Like

Laying the spool down like he does in the video with the line coming off the far side and over the spool is still counterclockwise.It is going on the reel spool the same as if it were laying face up flat on the floor.As long as it is coming over the top of the spool and not from underneath the spool or you have the back of the spool facing up when it is flat on the floor it works.I have done it many time like that with no twists or tangles.
    Likes jackie53, BDBFishing LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Jackie53...u said u have tried Richards method and it worked? Do u have to soak more than once if u have a big spoil and u don’t use it it for a while?

Post Thanks / Like

Just wonder if soaking in fabric softener would also help make the line limper. I soak my mono cast nets in fabric softener to make them limp so they throw better. Just don't know if the softener would make the line weaker????
    Be safe and good luck fishing

Post Thanks / Like

You will often hear people say that soaking a mono cast net in fabric softener will make them softer.
    If it makes a difference, It didn't work for me with a couple of the cheaper ones ive had.
    I even tried soaking them in a 5 gal bucket with a lid and drove them around for awhile in the truck bed.
    When I had my custom nets made I asked Tim Wade about that and he said thats just a myth as you cant improve it by soaking it. His only recommendation was to flush it off well with fresh water asap after using it in salt water and hang it to dry before storing it.