Thread: prefer's minners

Post Thanks / Like

Default prefer's minners

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	_DSC0263.jpg 
Views:	496 
Size:	44.6 KB 
ID:	312966

this was taken at a spot many, many of the members here fish. first one that posts exactly where this is located, i will send him/her a print of it. not just the lake either but within 500yds or so. that nail is a give away to someone with a sharp eye fishing this lake and area. good luck.
    Likes Redge, Central Minn, IceNitro LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Cool shot, do not know where it is but "turn" about is fair play. What kind of bird is it?
    Thanks crp4570 thanked you for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by StantheMan2567 View Post
    Cool shot, do not know where it is but "turn" about is fair play. What kind of bird is it?
    Its a least tern with plumage stage between juvenile and mature adult. This stage is often called the first “summer stage”. As fully maturing the cap will become more black. Often during the wintering cycle their beaks are darker. Thankyou for the question buddy.
    Likes Northforker, Redge LIKED above post

Redge is offline Crappie.com Legend - 2017 Man Of The Year
    Post Thanks / Like

Neat idea, cool shot

Sent from my iPhone using Crappie.com Fishing mobile app
    Proud Member of Team Geezer!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by crp4570 View Post
    Its a least tern with plumage stage between juvenile and mature adult. This stage is often called the first “summer stage”. As fully maturing the cap will become more black. Often during the wintering cycle their beaks are darker. Thankyou for the question buddy.
    Your welcome, least I could do! I really like your photography.

Post Thanks / Like

Ok, I will take a shot at the location. Terns migrate along major waterways so maybe Reelfoot Lake in West TN. I have visited Blue Bank Resort several times, never seen this particular post with a nail but what the heck, guesses are free rightprefer's minners.

Likes Redge LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by StantheMan2567 View Post
    Ok, I will take a shot at the location. Terns migrate along major waterways so maybe Reelfoot Lake in West TN. I have visited Blue Bank Resort several times, never seen this particular post with a nail but what the heck, guesses are free rightprefer's minners.

they do use that lake, the Mississippi River, and kentucky lake. Great guess but need lake plus location on lake with in several hundred yards. You got the lake correct but not the spot. Appreciate the try buddy. They are pretty birds. Reelfoot is a beautiful lake.
    Thanks StantheMan2567 thanked you for this post

Post Thanks / Like

I have one more guess then I will concede to the locals that probably know this lake by heart. In the 80s as an undergraduate and graduate student my Major Professor would take a group of students on an Ecological Field Trip to Reelfoot Lake each year over the Columbus Day weekend (Fall Break). I went several years in a row with him. We would stay at the UT Martin Field Research Station in Samburg and mainly bird watch (Eagles, Waterfowl, Raptors, etc) but also did some water and invertebrate sampling. One such area he took us to each year was the National Wildlife Refuge on the upper end of the lake. We would drive along Walnut Log Road and look for birds, snakes, and what ever we could find that was biology related. I caught my first Cottonmouth Snake on this road. The end of the road was gated and if the weather was decent we then hiked along the road and enjoyed the beautiful scenery that unfolded to the Upper Basin. These basins were connected by sloughs, maybe this picture was shot near or in the slough to the Upper Basin, and the nail was on a signage post marking the refuge borders? I really enjoyed the trips to this natural lake, can remember actually ordering Crappie off the menu at Boyettes Restaurant. Havent been there in years, would love to visit again. When I retire I will go back. Your photos are great and you obviously visit some awesome areas to capture these moments in time.

Post Thanks / Like

Thankyou so much for the kind words about my photography. Aside from immediate family, only this year have I publicly shared some of my photos locally and only here on the web. My wife and daughter strongly encouraged me to share them. I just didn’t think others would enjoy them. Words like yours are encouraging. However, your time taken sharing past memories of this wonderful lake with me, in this post, is an additional pleasure. When my photos produce fond memories for those who view them my satisfaction increases ten fold.

Unfortunately, this nail stump isn’t at walnut log dead end. In closing, I hope you visit our lake regions soon. When you do I strongly advise you to visit the Discovery Park museum located in Union City. It has a lot of local lake history displays. Check out their website. If you pm me I’ll gladly buy your lunch and listen to more of your reelfoot memories.
    Likes StantheMan2567 LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Reelfoot Lake at the Bend

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast