HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Mr. Comer and Carp

Post Thanks / Like

Default Mr. Comer and Carp

I'm sure everyone who sent in a letter has gotten this response, but in case not, here is just an email from Mr. Comer. And I will attach my response back to him.

Dear Jason,
    Thank you for your interest in my recent field briefing on the growing Asian carp crisis in Lake Barkley and Kentucky Lake. I appreciate hearing your thoughts on this important issue for Kentucky's waterways.
    Over the past several months, I have become increasingly concerned about the damage caused by Asian carp to the local ecosystem, fishing and tourism industries, and individuals out on the water. As a result, I held an Oversight and Government Reform Committee Field Briefing in Eddyville, Kentucky on July 27, 2018 to evaluate the federal, state and local response to the Asian carp threat and consider new approaches to control and eradicate this invasive species.
    More than 400 people attended this event, which featured testimony from expert witnesses representing the main federal agencies tasked with controlling this invasive species, state wildlife directors from Kentucky and Tennessee who are involved in the fight against Asian carp, and a local tourism official who described the threat of Asian carp to the $1.2 billion tourism industry in Western Kentucky. I was very encouraged to see the overwhelming response from the surrounding communities and I appreciate the work of local and state leaders to draw attention to the crisis and develop solutions to protect Kentucky's valued lakes and rivers.
    It is clear that our effort to combat Asian carp must include more federal funding and support for a full range of methods, from commercial harvest and market development to acoustic barriers and innovative deterrents, to reduce and control the Asian carp population in our waterways and beyond. I look forward to working with allies in Congress to advance solutions to this crisis and support communities in the First District in their efforts to protect and restore our treasured rivers, lakes and reservoirs.
    Thank you again for your advocacy and outreach on this important matter. Hearing from my constituents helps me better represent the First District of Kentucky in Congress.
    Please visit my official website for more information on press releases, policy agenda, and other updates. You can also follow me on Facebook and subscribe to my E-newsletter to stay up-to-date with my work in Washington and Kentucky's First Congressional District.

Sincerely,

James Comer
    Member of Congress

Mr. Comer,

I appreciate the effort that you are putting into this matter. My hope is that my state, Tennessee, will work just as hard with you and the adjoining states as you and your state are. I look at this situation like I look at deer hunting: If you are letting the 6 pointers walk on your side of the fence, but as soon as he crosses the fence he gets shot, then you are just wasting your time. This is going to have to be a multi-state effort in order to eliminate this problem. This problem exists with any body of water that feeds off of the Mississippi river.

Also, with the Carp Harvest Fund, we as sportsman have no issues in helping to contribute to the eradication of this nuisance fish, and as well we have no problem with contributing monies to the commercial fisherman. But, we don’t want our contributions to take the place of the federal monies that’s already going to the commercial fisherman harvesting these carp. We want our money to be added onto what federal money is already going to these commercial fisherman, so as to help recruit more commercial fisherman in this effort.

Thank you,

Jason Byrd

I hope I told him right. If not let me know and I will resend.

Thanks footballcoach, Fish on Line, tlefire, crappie flash thanked you for this post

Post Thanks / Like

I got the same response from Rep. Comer. Hopefully the emails/letters and attendance at the meeting will have a positive impact on future legislation.
    Yes, as a matter of fact, I do have a retirement plan...FISHING!

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Retired2Fish View Post
    I got the same response from Rep. Comer. Hopefully the emails/letters and attendance at the meeting will have a positive impact on future legislation.
    DITTO !!

Post Thanks / Like

My home lake is not affected by this issue YET. Im not anwhere near the mississipli river but I can see asian carp spreading through all the nations lakes eventually if it isnt stopped. Its sad to see our fisheries go to waste because of this. Hopefully the government will push to get regulations and extermination of them. Good job staying on them and good luck guys.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Sometimes I think there is too much regulations - other times not enough.. this Issue is a good case in point.... We have had Hurricanes come across South Florida and release hundreds of Snakes, Pythons, Boas and everything but the King Cobra..... My thoughts are NONE should be allowed into this country for any reason. Walking Catfish and other species like Snakehead from Asia are spreading across the south.. My brother caught 2 Paharanna in the Ouachita river at Camden Arkansas 5 years ago... How would you like to take your family Water Skiing and your kid being eaten alive while you watch or your kid playing in the sandbox --- lunch for some Snake that should have never been allowed into OUR COUNTRY FOR ANY REASON .... Make it Illegal to import any more or even own them ---- collect what is out there and exterminate them all... Every state could collect one more dollar from license fees to go into a fund to do what ever it takes to stop the spread even if it takes poisoning every fish on the Mississippi River and others to get it stopped... Restocking native fish and Bait fish would be costly but a good reason to never allow these invasive species allowed any more... Send this to every Congressmen
    Likes wannabe fisherman LIKED above post
    Thanks Ttexastom thanked you for this post

Post Thanks / Like

A Nutbush Video. I only uploaded it.

Owner
    "Wear your PFD" "No texting n driving" slab
    Crappie.com members are the best
    Thanks Nutbush thanked you for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Ed! This is either big head or silver carp, I’m not sure which one, feeding where our wastewater effluent goes into the Mississippi River. They just sit there and open and close their mouths as the water comes out. This is a small group of them. Usually there is a rather large dark area where they are. I try to throw in large stones every time just hoping to kill one each time.

Sent from my iPhone using Crappie.com Fishing mobile app

Post Thanks / Like

Take up bow-fishing, seems like a good start to it and it beats chunking rocks at em'! Pretty gross how they sit there lapping up that old waste / drainage water. And a well written response to the congressman, nice!

Post Thanks / Like

I heard tell way back when that even cobras were in florida ...not just constrictors ….and monitors and the list grows
    I read a website somewhere that showed American alligators home ranges included parts of asia ?
    humans are the problem . mankind messes up a good ecosystem about everytime they put a hand in it
    sum kawl me tha outlaw ketchn whales