Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Variable Speed Trolling Motor Switch?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Variable Speed Trolling Motor Switch?

I fish from a light weight aluminum boat, and generally I jig brush piles vertically in very clear water for spooky crappie. Because of this, I like to keep my trolling motor set to the lowest speed that will keep me in position.

The problem with this is that wind gusts can blow my boat quite a ways from my pile before my uncoordinated foot can kick the speed wheel up and get back on the pedal, and I spend a good bit of time trolling back to my spot.

It seems to me that a variable speed foot switch would allow much easier and precise boat control than the standard on/off switch and speed wheel. Would this be something that would appeal to a large enough market to interest MK or MG to produce one? Thanks.

Post Thanks / Like

There are after market ones available. MinnKota used to make one but it was discontinued. However a member recently posted one that he had purchased and put on his boat. Here are some threads I found by searching for "variable control".
    https://www.crappie.com/crappie/main...speed-control/

Also we have a MinnKota authorized repair shop here named "The Crappie Hole" Mark is the owner and I understand he makes a variable speed unit. Here is contact info:
    [COLOR=rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.87)]The Crappie Hole[/COLOR]

Directions
    Save

5.02 Google reviews

[COLOR=#878787 !important]Fishing store in Lexington County, South Carolina[/COLOR]

Address: 726 Amicks Ferry Rd, Chapin, SC 29036

Hours: [COLOR=#212121 !important]Open ⋅ Closes 6PM[/COLOR]
    [COLOR=#212121 !important]

[/COLOR]

Phone: (803) 345-5606

Mark 1:17 ...I will make you fishers of men

Post Thanks / Like

SeaRay- Thank you for the info. I'll check out the Crappie Hole.

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you for the link.

Post Thanks / Like

I watched some of the YouTube videos on the PWM unit and the MK Maximizer. They are not exactly what I was looking for. What I am pondering is a variable speed foot switch, like the trigger on variable speed drill, the further you depress it, the faster the motor rotates.

Looking at the switch "button" on a current MK foot pedal, it slopes to the outside. If the momentary on/off switch was replaced with a momentary variable speed switch and the "button" was sloped to the inside, all that you would have to do to increase speed would would be to slide your foot to the left to depress the switch further. Is this feasible?
    Last edited by Mountain Fork; 08-02-2018 at 06:43 PM. Reason: can't remember right from left!!!!