HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Big Moon crappie bite ?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Big Moon crappie bite ?

When I went out late last week into the ocean miles out in the gulf the first stop was pretty sad . The first mate and his best helper were all down about the moon and said it just wasn't a good thing . They said it messed up the ketchn and the tide and the water temp and etc etc …..excuses is my thoughts on it .
    I said well the moon being big makes things different and in freshwater I seem to see a correlation with fish being more active after lunch time . They said nope not like that in the salt water …..well guess what yawl ?
    About 11 30 am the second stop out in the big blue sea we flat wore fish out every drop until we left to go back to port .Every stop was a hammer fest and we hit lots of rock piles trying to lose the dolphins .
    Fast forward to Tuesday , still got a big ole moon . fish wont bite in the morning much and or when its light is what the locals are saying .
    I say hog wash ...fish will bite if you can find fish ! They may not bite good or hard, but crappie are just about flat out always up for meal if its in range and easy . Sure there are times when you don't figure it out and they have lock jaw and wont do it . But I think that its more about you just wasn't doing something just so so .
    I hit my milk run spot early , moon still up . They were not 8 foot down , they were not 10 foot down , they were parked about a foot off the bottom or lower and super tricky .The herd was there and just pecking like bream . Laying up slack lines and just there when you moved the jig .
    I hit em pretty good with a 1/32 about 13 foot deep in 14 foot of water . I used 2 different handtied jigs and presented my jigs VERY lightly . I landed 42 and lost around 10 and got my line broke twice in ONE HOUR !
    Now mind ya this spot is like that and if you get dialed up you will lip rip in super fashion and being at "that" age I may never get back to my hundred an hour days , but to be sure the fish still worry a lil bit when they hear my foot steps …...
    7 am to 8 am and off to work I went ,all fish released to make some ones day down the road .
    have a great day and find time to ketch you some fish ….life is short
    fish make for a smile ,smiles make for a longer life .
    and yes ….KABOOM !
    sum kawl me tha outlaw ketchn whales
    Thanks Ttexastom, jackie53 thanked you for this post

Post Thanks / Like

You dropped the hammer on em!
    I can do all things through Christ, who strengthens me.

Post Thanks / Like

Good fish. BTW, you look like Kurt Russell.
    If we did what was most important in life there would be a shortage of Bibles.................and fishing poles
    Likes CUonthelake LIKED above post

skeetbum is offline Crappie.com Legend - Moderator Jig Tying Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Good Job Mister!! Never mind the nay-sayers, just fish like you know how to.
    Creativity is just intelligence fooling around
    Likes CUonthelake LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Excellent catches Brother.... and yeah KAAAABOOOOM

Post Thanks / Like

Geeze! Did you leave any in the lake? LOL! Great job!
    "A voyage in search of knowledge need never abandon the spirit of adventure."

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Crestliner08 View Post
    Geeze! Did you leave any in the lake? LOL! Great job!
    that lil jewel is listed as one of the top ten in texas for crappie my friend …
    its flat out full of them …..big ones are hard to find but the numbers of them in that lake are unreal
    I am sure I left millions or more of them without any hook marks

Post Thanks / Like

Great post. I have been watching the moon phases and watching an almanac that predicts fish activity for a couple of years. What I have come to believe is the moon might play a part but there are so many other parts to the reason the fish are biting, or not, that the moon phase is not worth even caring about. I find that I have a lot more success if I don't pay attention to that sort of thing and just fish as hard as I can. Some days an almanac will say it's a poor day to fish and I have hammered them. Other days it says it's an excellent day to fish and I get skunked. Sounds like you have a similar philosophy. Learn the place your fishing and do everything you can to get them to bite regardless of the moon. Just this summer I finally stopped paying attention to it and have had some great fishing trips.

Nice bunch of fish and way to hammer them.

Post Thanks / Like

Yes sir , I pay little attention to moon phase or the cows or the weather conditions . I know they play a roll in it though and quite often make it tough to ketch fish , but I have to ketch when I have time to do so .
    Can’t let a big moon or a bad barometer reading slow me up ...real tall winds slow me up the most
    Likes SpeckledSlab LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

I have a friend that says the fish bite when the cows are standing and don't bite when the cows are laying down. We passed a herd on the way to the lake. Half of the cows were standing and half of the cows were laying down. I asked him if the fish were confused?

I also pay no attention to moon phase. I don't know what I am doing wrong but somehow I catch fish most of the time.

Good catch by the way.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast