Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Long lining rods and set up

Post Thanks / Like

Default Long lining rods and set up

RODS: Thinking about getting new equipment this year, have a hodgepodge of different stuff. For those that long line what’s your favorite rod and reel.

Set up: I currently use a 12’, 9’, and 5’ out each side of the boat. How do you guys set up. Was wondering if a longer first pole would work or is there a issue if you get to long. Was also wondering if going from three to four out each side would be to much. Last question while fishing I’ve seen some boats that look like all there rods are the same length but there just fanned out which doesn’t leave much space between lines anyone do this and how’s it work for you. Any issue when you hook a big fish or a striper.
    Likes J.M. LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

There's several different answers to your question So I'll give you my simplest one: we Longline mostly 12 rods out a 520 ranger, 3 down each side and six across the back. I have 2-16', 2-14'. 1-12' Southern Crappie rods for this application, across the back we Run 2-9' rod and 4-8ers' Across the back. the side long rods have a little angle or spread to them and across the back we spread those out more so we only have 2 running under the track of the boat. For the back rods we're using the Vexan Crappie Rods, seem to handle fish a little better an keep them from tangling other rods up as much. Southern's aren't as stiff and you don't miss as many if you don't see the fish hit the bait.
    If you don't get hung every-once-n-a-while you ain't jigg'n it right..:D
    Member of:
    South Carolina Crappie Association TX. Trail
    Vexan Pro-staff Member

Slabprowler is offline Crappie.com Legend * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I run 4 off the front off each side mostly and I use 16’,14’,12’,6’ I usually run heavier weight on my short rods so they aren’t as far out if you r really in the fish you want be able to keep them all out, I personally like the southerns but the b&m rods are great also!
    Too blessed to be stressed!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by usafret99 View Post
    RODS: Thinking about getting new equipment this year, have a hodgepodge of different stuff. For those that long line what’s your favorite rod and reel.

Set up: I currently use a 12’, 9’, and 5’ out each side of the boat. How do you guys set up. Was wondering if a longer first pole would work or is there a issue if you get to long. Was also wondering if going from three to four out each side would be to much. Last question while fishing I’ve seen some boats that look like all there rods are the same length but there just fanned out which doesn’t leave much space between lines anyone do this and how’s it work for you. Any issue when you hook a big fish or a striper.
    if im pulling from the back of the boat i use 4 off each side 2/16s, 2/14s, 2/12s, and 2/7s. if im pulling off the side from the front of the boat which is what i do most of the time i use 3 off each side 1/16s, 2/12s, 2/7s. stagger lines at different lengths till you fine the depth fish are biting. i use denalli rods. with the denali 50 size spinning reels. the reels don't make a lot of difference doing this. they are little more than line holders.

skeetbum is offline Crappie.com Legend - Moderator Jig Tying Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I use the same rig for pulling jigs or cranks. Hi-Tek Extreme rod holders don’t let the rods turn in the holders as some others might and are easy to get out of the holder when loaded up with a good fish. I have run 4 rods out each side, midway down the side both front and back seats can get to the rods easy. 12, 9, and6 foot rods have replaced the 12, 10, 8, and 6 footers from the past and I get a lot less tangles from turns and runaway fish. The boat looks like it has wings with the rods 90* out the side. I use a mix of rods with Southern Crappie and BnM always the mainstay. I can also run 4 rods out the back, which are usually 1/8oz and shorter than the sides. These are softer medium action 7 footers and they stay very busy some days. No need to spend lots of money on those just so they aren’t stiff or the head shakes will tear the hook loose on a good fish. Also make sure the drag isn’t over tight, bigger fish will make it sing. I can run all 10 by myself until it gets busy and then I have to take out what I can’t keep up with.
    Creativity is just intelligence fooling around

Post Thanks / Like

I pull 4 off each side and 4 straight out the back. 16' 12', 10' and 8' off sides and 4 - 5' off back. I like very slow action rods for pulling.

Etowah, Tn. foothills to the Smokey Mountains
    Post Thanks / Like

Sent you a PM

Post Thanks / Like

Mainly fish by myself and might hang a rod or two out the back when things are slow. I see most of you run nothing shorter than 8’ out the side. Is that because you have rods out the back or you trying to get away from boat. I sometimes use 5’or 6’ rods as my inside rod

Eagle 1 is offline Crappie.com Legend and Mississippi Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like

We can only run 4 solo so a 16,12,8, and a 5 is what I have/use . Mine is pretty high tech though lol . A Pro staff /b and m , an Ozark , A Tica ,and a Shakespeare .