HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Additional Rod Holder?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Additional Rod Holder?

I’m running a hi tek and wondered if anyone has ever tried to add an additional holder to the existing 4 rod T-bar?? Can the rig handle the extra rod weight? Name:  IMG_0183.jpg
Views: 509
Size:  145.8 KB

Cray is offline Crappie.com 2019 Man of Year, Supermod & Moderator of the Mechanics Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I think it would handle the weight ok but your rod separation might cause you a problem. Take one off the left and put it on the right side where you would have 3 then adjust to see if you could fish them that close.
    Proud Member of Team Geezer
    Charlie Weaver USN/ENC 1965-1979

Likes blueball, skeetbum, SlabSeeker0485 LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Cray View Post
    I think it would handle the weight ok but your rod separation might cause you a problem. Take one off the left and put it on the right side where you would have 3 then adjust to see if you could fish them that close.
    Yea that’s what I was also wondering. Trying to avoid adding another rig but would like to add another rod possibly. How many rods does the average solo spider rigger generally use? Sometimes 4 is all I want then sometime I wish I had 6 when the bite is slower

sinkermaker is offline Crappie.com Legend * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

If the law allows most use 8 to 10 rods. If the bite is to fast then reel them up and not fish with them until the bite slows down.

Cray is offline Crappie.com 2019 Man of Year, Supermod & Moderator of the Mechanics Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Here where most of us fish we are allowed 4 per person. Years ago fishing some oxbow S here and in Arkansas I used to fish 7 by myself. 4 is about all I want to fool with most of the time now but sometimes wish I could have a couple more. Unless you have some tools and skills to cut that flat in the bar stock I would call Scott at hitec and have him make you a cross bar about 8 inches longer and with that bar centered would give you almost another 4 inches of clearance. That should give you plenty of room to handle your rods.
    Proud Member of Team Geezer
    Charlie Weaver USN/ENC 1965-1979

Thanks SlabSeeker0485 thanked you for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Cray View Post
    Unless you have some tools and skills to cut that flat in the bar stock I would call Scott at hitec and have him make you a cross bar about 8 inches longer and with that bar centered would give you almost another 4 inches of clearance. That should give you plenty of room to handle your rods.
    Haven’t even considered this! Thanks for that thought!
    Likes "G" LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Think standard is 16"? I had scott make me one 4" longer than stardard with all 4 inches added to one side that way they don't overlap between the two holders. I have 5 holders on each mounted at front for capacity of 10. Kinda wished I'd asked for 6" extra. Gets a little crowded when spreading them on the butt end of the rods. I'm sure he'd make you what ever length you decide

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Wannabe...v2.0
    A lot like the old Wannabe... except with fewer bad words. And Karate chop action. But, yes, still purtier than you.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Wannabe... View Post
    Think standard is 16"? I had scott make me one 4" longer than stardard with all 4 inches added to one side that way they don't overlap between the two holders. I have 5 holders on each mounted at front for capacity of 10. Kinda wished I'd asked for 6" extra. Gets a little crowded when spreading them on the butt end of the rods. I'm sure he'd make you what ever length you decide

So you have the standard length on your 2 rod side but additional 4” for your 3 rod side? Does the 3 rod side make the whole rig unbalanced? Think I could add 6 rods (3x3) on one rig? Before this thread, I wanted up to but no more than 6 rods to maintain. My issue is deck space. I don’t really have room for another rig so that’s how I got to thinking about just adding a rod holder to my existing T-bar.

skeetbum is offline Crappie.com Legend - Moderator Jig Tying Forum
    Post Thanks / Like

I agree wit being crowded adding to the 16” bar. Also agree with a 20” bar would probably do fine. I thought of adding a second base and getting one long bar to span them both. This might also let you add a few extra and make a solid foundation. Kind of a variation to a rear trolling rack.
    Creativity is just intelligence fooling around
    Likes SlabSeeker0485 LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SlabSeeker0485 View Post
    So you have the standard length on your 2 rod side but additional 4” for your 3 rod side? Does the 3 rod side make the whole rig unbalanced? Think I could add 6 rods (3x3) on one rig? Before this thread, I wanted up to but no more than 6 rods to maintain. My issue is deck space. I don’t really have room for another rig so that’s how I got to thinking about just adding a rod holder to my existing T-bar.
    As far as balance goes, no issues due to amounting base and the flat spot on the cross bar. What you should do is call Scott Echols and tell him what you want to do. Maybe send a pic of your current set up. He will be able to tell you pretty quick what will work and what won't. He's good folk.

Wannabe...

Wannabe...v2.0
    A lot like the old Wannabe... except with fewer bad words. And Karate chop action. But, yes, still purtier than you.