Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Report; 7/29/18

Post Thanks / Like

Default Report; 7/29/18

The weather up in this neck of the woods has been oppressive, to say the least. Hazy, hot, humid, rainy, stormy, etc.. All negatives. Today was a break from our norm. A severe front came through and ushered in some much dryer air, brighter day and no rain for a change. So, Walt & I jumped on this limited opportunity to wet a line.

We launched around 7:30 am as usual. The air was a "cool" 62 degrees (as opposed to the normal starting temp in the mid to upper 70's) and the water was steady at 77 degrees. A far cry from you folks down south I'm guessing, but up here, that's "warm"!

This is what the day looked like:

Name:  Today's Scene.jpg
Views: 250
Size:  71.4 KB

Doesn't get much prettier. On the way to the launch, we viewed one deer in a field and plenty of Canada geese browsing as well. And once we got on the water, a family of loons proceeded to show their youngin's how to fly....duck style. Pretty neat to watch! But we were on a mission - to catch crappie!

In scouting out several deep water basins, we found plenty of bait and fish:

Name:  Fish and Bait_1.jpg
Views: 254
Size:  75.1 KB

Name:  Fish and Bait_2.jpg
Views: 256
Size:  99.4 KB

They were on a very "finicky" bite, in spite of a full moon shining down on them the previous night. We were side pulling various jigs and weights, as well as a short period spent on cranks, which did nothing for us. Right off the bat, a "chicken" Joker (soaked in "G" sauce) on a 1/4 oz. ball head, started to rack up some fish for me. Walt stuck with his Slider grubs and I went through quite a few plastic combos - in search of "the" bait of the day. The larger Slider minnows on 1/8 oz. ball heads, proved to be the main producer today.

We didn't kick their butt, but we did OK.....with 62 fish caught & released today when we pulled off around 1:30 pm; a few were gills included in the mix, but not as many as in previous trips. We are still not seeing the quality and quantity of fish, as in previous seasons however. In talking with the folks manning the gate, it appears that last season's "fish kill" has yet to be recovered from. Time will tell whether or not there is an improvement. Here are a few pictures of these crappie today:

Name:  Rich_1.jpg
Views: 218
Size:  139.7 KB

Name:  Walt_1.jpg
Views: 257
Size:  137.3 KB

Name:  Rich_2.jpg
Views: 250
Size:  123.3 KB

All in all a fine way to spend some precious hours with an outstanding fishing partner. Can't wait until the next trip! Hope some of you were fortunate enough to wet a line today. God Bless America!
    "A voyage in search of knowledge need never abandon the spirit of adventure."
    Likes "D", Redge LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

[/QUOTE]

sounds like a mighty good trip. beautiful scenery ya'll have up there.

Post Thanks / Like

Y’all are awesome. Great trip and nice photos. Glad you had a nice outing.

Sent from my iPhone using Crappie.com
    May the Lord bless you and keep you.
    May the Lord make his face to shine upon you, and be gracious to you.
    May the Lord lift up his countenance upon you, and give you peace.
    Numbers 6:24-26

Post Thanks / Like

Great report.Nice fish.

"G" is offline Super Duper Moderator - 2012 Crappie.Com Man of the year & 2018 Crappie.com Decade of Exceptional Service Awards * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

You guys rock

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Crappie.com Fishing mobile app
    I have spent most my life fishing........the rest I wasted.
    PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM GEEZER
    PICO Lures Field Rep

Redge is offline Crappie.com Legend - 2017 Man Of The Year
    Post Thanks / Like

Wow, I’m jealous! Beautiful weather, and your catching fish also!!

Sent from my iPhone using Crappie.com Fishing mobile app
    Proud Member of Team Geezer!