HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Fishing line

Zman is offline Crappie Wall Hanger II * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Fishing line

Dose anyone use 2 lb line to fish with ? Or the smallest line anyone use

Post Thanks / Like

I use 2# a lot, and I'm not alone. The Bream forum has most of the 2# line discussions.
    Likes skeetbum LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

I use 2# on most of my rods with two rods wound with 1#. I pitch small jigs, usually 1/64 oz. One of the best & worst small lines is Nano-Fil. It casts like a rocket but knots are a pain in the butt. There are a few knots that will work but the "normal" knots like a cinch knot will simply untie itself with very little pressure because the line is so slick. My "go-to" line is Stren Gold 2# test but it is getting hard to find. I found a spool at a local shop and when I got it home and started to load my reel I realized the line must be years old, as it had taken a set that I could not get out no matter what I did. I've tried quite a few different brands but have not found one to best the Stren.
    Clint
    Far West Kentucky
    http://www.crappie.com/crappie/signaturepics/sigpic31827_3.gif
    Old enough to know better and way too old to care!
    Likes skeetbum, SpeckledSlab LIKED above post

DaveB40 is offline Crappie.com 1K Star General * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I use 5lb Power Pro Braid on some of my jigging rods. I'm a little toooooooo skittish
    to use 2lb, especially since I don't use UL rods. Other than that I use 6 or 8lb Mr. Crappie
    Hi-Vis, with 4 or 6lb Fluorocarbon leader on my long jigging rods and 10lb Mr. Crappie
    Hi-Vis yellow with 8 or 10lb Fluorocarbon leader on my long brush rods. I'very pulled
    out 4 and 5lb cats out of the brush with these reels spooled with this line. Lotsa fun!
    "Both politicians and diapers need to be changed often and for the same reason" President Ronald Reagan

Proud Member of "TEAM GEEZER"
    Thanks SpeckledSlab thanked you for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Clint View Post
    My "go-to" line is Stren Gold 2# test but it is getting hard to find.
    The 2# Stren Crappie mono is very good, and it comes in hi vis.

For the last year or so, I've been using Trilene XL 2#.

Likes skeetbum LIKED above post

skeetbum is offline Crappie.com Legend - Moderator Jig Tying Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I’ve used nanofil, stren crappie, viscous, trilene, and another that escapes me right now. I use the nano a lot but as stated, it has a personality. No abrasion resistance so I use a 4 lb clear blue stren leader and have lost no fish since. Unbelievable casting with tiny jigs. Windy days can prove to be frustrating as the line doesn’t settle to the water like the heavier mono. At .002 it’s as small as it gets. The stren crappie is next in a few ways over the others. I use the hi vis for visibility as it’s so small in clear it almost disappears. Less memory, good strength, and no chalky appearance. The viscous is a distant third with a more chalky appearance and a bit more memory. I won’t buy any others again and will respool with stren crappie when the time comes. As for knots, I use a double uni for line to leader. In a video I made a few years back, I show what I call the old mans knot. So named cuz I can tie it without my glasses,it has served me well and if a small1/8 tag is left, I get no slippage. The video is” a crappie double rig with a wooly bugger”. Hope this helps.
    Creativity is just intelligence fooling around
    Likes jackie53, SpeckledSlab LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

I've also been using 2# Stren Crappie Mono, mostly for bluegills, the past few months and well satisfied with the strength and lack of memory. Haven't caught anything huge on it but landed a 15" smallie and straightened out a couple of wire hooks. That gave me confidence in it. Am about to try S.O.S. trout mono out of curiosity as it is well regarded.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by deathb4disco View Post
    The 2# Stren Crappie mono is very good, and it comes in hi vis.

For the last year or so, I've been using Trilene XL 2#.
    I just looked at some ads for the Stren Crappie and ordered 4X200yd spools of 2# Hi-Viz. I will see if it is up to the "old" Stren.

And I will NEVER use Triline anything. I hold a grudge, and I lost a BIG fish while fishing Triline XT up in New England and looked at the break and it was not at the knot but in the running line. No abrasions, no nicks, just a parted line.
    Clint
    Far West Kentucky
    http://www.crappie.com/crappie/signaturepics/sigpic31827_3.gif
    Old enough to know better and way too old to care!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Clint View Post
    I just looked at some ads for the Stren Crappie and ordered 4X200yd spools of 2# Hi-Viz. I will see if it is up to the "old" Stren.
    I have posted about Stren Crappie previously. It has a truer diameter and breaking strain than regular Stren.
    Likes Clint LIKED above post

jackie53 is offline Crappie.com Legend * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

We use the berkly nanofil Really like it floats unreal castabliliy Trout Magnets SOS cannot beat price.Just started using Berkely Vanish 2&4 lb Fluorocarbon.For Deep water Presentations.
    Lots of Options.Our Two cents.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J120A using Crappie.com Fishing mobile app
    John 3:16
    Blessed to have as many friends as fingers on your hand is a blessing!!!
    "Gone fish'n not wish'n"
    In God We Trust.
    Can God trust us.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast