Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Crappie (or any) Fishing Near Scott AFB

Post Thanks / Like

Default Crappie (or any) Fishing Near Scott AFB

My son, Daughter -In-Law and two grandkids will be stationed at Scott AFB, arriving in June. They intend to buy a house in Rantoul, Ill. Can anyone give me a heads up on fishing opportunities within a 100 miles of there? Thanks in advance.

Post Thanks / Like

Glenn..Dawson Lake at Moraine View State Park just north of Leroy is a nice lake...you can boat or bank fish easily...and it's right off I-74 west of Champaign..and Clinton lake is ok if you have a boat and Kickapoo State Park has lots of smaller lakes.. it is located just west of Danville on I-74 also....good luck.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn
    My son, Daughter -In-Law and two grandkids will be stationed at Scott AFB, arriving in June. They intend to buy a house in Rantoul, Ill. Can anyone give me a heads up on fishing opportunities within a 100 miles of there? Thanks in advance.

This is none of my business. But if they are going to be stationed at Scott AFB, why are they buying a house in Rantoul, IL. Must be 100-150+ from Rantoul, IL to Scott AFB. Scott AFB is just East Of St. Louis.
    Duane

My soon to be ex-wife calls me a CrappieHead

Post Thanks / Like

Rantoul is wrong. I must have been thinking of the old Chanute AFB. I can't remember the name of the town they intend to buy in, but it is a 15-20 minute drive from Scott. Thanks for the info on the lakes.

Post Thanks / Like

Believe you are thinking of Belleville
    There are several lakes in within 100 miles.
    Lake Shelby - probably a little over 100 miles - at Shelbyville, IL
    Carlyle Lake - near Carlyle, IL
    are two Corp of Engineers flood control lakes.

When they get situated at Walmart ( and probably other places) there are two books of maps
    Southern Illinois Fishing Map Guide (this will be one they will definitely want)
    Northern Illinois Fishing Map Guide

Also when warmer weather get here (if it ever does) check out the Illinois DNR site
    http://www.ifishillinois.org/reports...ortselect.html
    This provides regular reports on many of the lakes throughout the state.

You didn't state whether wanting to bank fish or have boat. So assuming some what that fishing with a boat.

Hope they enjoy their duty station. I'm at the north end of Lake Shelbyville and would be happy to show them around the lake. When you come to visit be sure to let me know and we'll see what can be done about getting you some fishing time.

God Bless Our Service Personel
    Ranger375
    [email protected]
    North end of Lake Shelbyville

Post Thanks / Like

Thans Ranger.