Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: first effort w/new bass pro fish cooker

Post Thanks / Like

Default first effort w/new bass pro fish cooker

Broke it out and got the seasoning taken care of on the cast iron fry pan right away. It said in the manual that they coat it, but I greased her up and baked away for about 40 minutes. My kids got me a full assortment of Bass Pro Uncle Bucks seasonings. So, atleast for today, I went with their fish batter and hush puppy mix. I went half and half between the hot & spicy and the mild for the fish. I am a little strange, in that I like really salty fish. I don't think I have ever eaten fish that somebody else has fried, and thought it was too salty. But, having never tried this stuff, I didn't salt anything first. It came out nice and crispy, but pretty bland. The good thing about that is that you can really taste the fish, but I ended up dumping a lot of salt on the done pieces. Next time I will go more with the hot & spicy and salt heavily before frying. The Uncle Bucks hush puppy mix can be summed up with one word....SPICY. Good flavor, and I will use it again, but I almost needed some gatorade to go with it.
    The unit itself is great. I dropped the fish in at 355* and with 6-7 pieces in, the temp spiked up to 365*, which I consider perfect. It settled nicely about 360* and stayed there until I was done. I did have to move it out of the wind once, but once there it was perfect. I am pleased and it was really nice to finally have a cooker outside and not heat up the house.
    Polar Kraft 1571 DB
    Mercury 25 hp 4-Stroke

Post Thanks / Like

I bet your household appreciated you seasoning it in the oven!!!

Have you ever tried Lawry's seasoned salt. I don't usually put salt on anything. But, this stuff sure can do some fish and 'taters fine.
    DP
    I am a heterosexual male. 2 Chronicles 7:14
    "If my people who are called by My name will humble themselves and pray and seek My face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from Heaven and will forgive their sin and heal their land."

Post Thanks / Like

I know enough to have an empty house when I pull something like that. Remind me sometime to tell you about when my bro-in-law and I made some venison jerky in my Mother-in-Laws oven...with no drip pan, and forgot to clean it afterwards. Last time, I assure you. It didn't help that we cut up a backstrap for the jerky, so She was already mad at us...
    I go through Lawrys like most people go through regular salt. I would rank them as follows: 1. Lawrys
    2. McCormicks Season All
    3. Cavender's
    4. Tony's
    Polar Kraft 1571 DB
    Mercury 25 hp 4-Stroke