Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Spider rig rods vs jigging rods

Post Thanks / Like

Default Spider rig rods vs jigging rods

Could anyone please explain to me the difference between rods used for spider rigs vs those used for jigging? I'm new to Crappie (sac a lait) fishing and will be building a spider rig set up soon. Thanks in advance.
    Likes Jackson87 LIKED above post

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by sac a lait bug View Post
    Could anyone please explain to me the difference between rods used for spider rigs vs those used for jigging? I'm new to Crappie (sac a lait) fishing and will be building a spider rig set up soon. Thanks in advance.
    IMHO .... Spider Rig rods are just "longer" on average, than a "jigging" rod.

When I think of a jigging rod, I'm thinking the 8-12ft length rods. When I think of Spider Rigging rods, I'm thinking 14-20ft rods.

But, I don't "Spider Rig" or "Vertical Jig", so my opinion may not hold much weight. I'm more into casting & Pushing my jigs, and don't usually involve live bait in my primary fishing techniques.
    Likes wicklundrh LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

I would say that the difference, at least in my eyes, besides the obvious being the length, would be the weight of the rod. I am not specifically referring to the actual weight (which is quick heavy) but the "weight" being light, medium, heavy, ultra light, etc...

Where as a normal jigging rod is used for lead jigs (or hooks and weights) under say, 1/2oz, spider rig or pushing/pulling rods have a little more heft and girth in order to handle heavier weights designed to keep the baits verticle in the water. That would be the major difference that I see. Guys might use weights in excess of 3oz. Much too heavy for a traditional jigging rod in the 10 to 12 foot range.
    I have OCD "Obsessive Crappie Disorder"

Post Thanks / Like

Just be aware that for some folks the definition of "Spider rigging" also includes pushing jigs... not just sitting with 40 rods over the sides with minnows under corks.

But generally speaking, Spider Rigging rods are usually longer than jigging rods, at least in my experience.

Tom

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by T_om View Post
    Just be aware that for some folks the definition of "Spider rigging" also includes pushing jigs... not just sitting with 40 rods over the sides with minnows under corks.

But generally speaking, Spider Rigging rods are usually longer than jigging rods, at least in my experience.

Tom
    I kinda liken "Pushing" to "Spider Rigging" as Pushing being that cousin that's "faster" than you & doesn't have any "pets" to deal with. They're both a form of "trolling" (same family), but just a difference in how fast they're done & with what added accoutrements.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by CrappiePappy View Post
    I kinda liken "Pushing" to "Spider Rigging" as Pushing being that cousin that's "faster" than you & doesn't have any "pets" to deal with. They're both a form of "trolling" (same family), but just a difference in how fast they're done & with what added accoutrements.
    Pets are good
    Name:  518.jpg
Views: 615
Size:  100.6 KB