HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: reel advice

Post Thanks / Like

Default reel advice

I got a free st Croix float and fly rod for my 15 year anniversary at work. Im looking for a reel to make a all purpose set up mabey 8# braid.. I put my 1000 shimano sahara and it felt to small. my sons abu Garcia 2000 felt right size but to heavy. was thinking a cadence 2000. don't want to break the bank with 200$ reel. any thoughts for a good balancing set up.

CrappiePappy is online now Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rabbit91476 View Post
    I got a free st Croix float and fly rod for my 15 year anniversary at work. Im looking for a reel to make a all purpose set up mabey 8# braid.. I put my 1000 shimano sahara and it felt to small. my sons abu Garcia 2000 felt right size but to heavy. was thinking a cadence 2000. don't want to break the bank with 200$ reel. any thoughts for a good balancing set up.
    Does the rod have a fixed reel seat, or is it a Tenn Handle style (no reel seat, retainer rings holds reel on) ?? If it's a Tenn Handle, then you can move the reel to a position where it balances better (once you find the right reel).

Looking at the weights of the reels mentioned, I'm thinking the CS5 @ 8.3oz might still be a little too heavy ... since your son's Garcia weighs about 8.6oz (and your Sahara weighs 7.6oz)

If possible, take the rod to your local shops and try a few different ones on it and see which one balances best. I'm thinking something in a graphite frame in the 1500-2000 series with a weight of around 8oz.

(reel weights are just what I could find from the limited info of brand/series)
    Likes Crestliner08, skeetbum LIKED above post
    Thanks SpeckledSlab thanked you for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Don't forget to look at Pflueger President series too. Great quality reels and I find them very light in weight. A size #6930 would probably fit the bill quite nicely. JMO!
    "A voyage in search of knowledge need never abandon the spirit of adventure."
    Likes "G", need2befishin, wannabe fisherman LIKED above post

skeetbum is offline Crappie.com Legend - Moderator Jig Tying Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I also agree with what said so far. The f&f rod that I had wasn’t cheap and was still tip heavy. Take it with you when you shop, and I also like my 4 presidents a lot.
    Creativity is just intelligence fooling around

CrappiePappy is online now Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Crestliner08 View Post
    Don't forget to look at Pflueger President series too. Great quality reels and I find them very light in weight. A size #6930 would probably fit the bill quite nicely. JMO!
    Yes, they are quality reels, but their weight is the same as the CS5 reel he's considering (8.3oz). I'm also thinking he's pretty much stuck with the 8.3oz weight, as many of the reels of that size are about the same in weight ... if not a tad heavier. You drop down a series and the 7.6oz mark seems to be about the average.

He may have to use the lighter reel and add one of those weight kits to the butt of the handle to get the precise balance he's looking for

Post Thanks / Like

guess I should of stated the the sahara weight felt ok but felt a little small in size for the rod. ill take a look at the president. thanks for the weighted but advice