HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Evolution of Crappie Fishing Rods by Brad Wiegmann

Post Thanks / Like

Default Evolution of Crappie Fishing Rods by Brad Wiegmann

Name:  IMG_2705 bamboo white background.jpg
Views: 437
Size:  53.2 KB

Over the years crappie anglers have fished for crappie with everything from bamboo to telescopic poles and now fishing rods. Yes there is a difference between a fishing pole and fishing rod. A fishing pole is normally made from natural elements while a rod is from composite materials, however, new technology along with advances in materials are quickly changing the dynamics of crappie fishing poles and rods.

Crappie fishing anglers have come a long ways since bamboo poles; however, there are still anglers that fish with one or a jointed bamboo pole. It’s noted that the best bamboo for poles is grown and processed in China. Today there are still several companies building and selling bamboo poles.

Name:  IMG_2696 white background power troller.jpg
Views: 635
Size:  83.0 KB

“Crappie fishing rods have evolved over the years. It began with bamboo poles and still is influenced by the same parabolic action, little bit of backbone and a loose tip for light bites of a bamboo pole. Again, it’s the bend we are looking for regardless of the materials it’s made from when it comes to fishing poles and rods,” said owner of B’n’M Poles Jack Wells.

After a period of time crappie poles and rods began to be built from fiberglass blanks. Over 60 years ago, B’n’M Poles (www.bnmpoles.com) came out with the Black Widow Pole. “Even with fiberglass being a more lightweight material it still emulates the action of a bamboo pole,” said Wells.
    “As time goes on and we all know that crappie feed upwards so to be able to see or feel a strike, we began to make rods out of graphite. Graphite was a great choice for allowing the angler to feel a strike. We introduced B’n’M Poles Buck’s Graphite rod back in 1979 and was the first graphite crappie rod introduce in to the United States. Lightweight, sensitive and you could feel the bite, however, Buck’s Graphite rod still emulates the action of a bamboo rod in many ways,” said Wells.

Buck’s Graphite rod features a long handle and fore grip allowing the angler to balance the rod and reel easily. This allowed anglers to vertically jig fish easily.

Another driving force in the development of crappie rods was new, innovative fishing techniques. Crappie anglers are still vertically jigging, however, spider rigging or trolling has become extremely popular. It’s not unusual to see anglers trolling in the front, back or both decks.

One rod that has evolved from a new specific trolling method is the Pow-R-Troller. This heavy action trolling rod can handle a weight up to 3-ounceswith little bend in the rod tip. It’s constructed from high density graphite with durable EVA handle, short foregrip and rear-mount rod collar to fit into rod holders.

With the introduction of graphite rod blanks a new premium crappie rod has been established for vertical jig fishing. “We discovered that a bottom mounted reel seat gives you more extension of the rod, a shorter foregrip and will balance perfect when vertically jigging with less fatigue,” said Wells.

New crappie fishing techniques are also demanding new rod lengths. “In the old days, we had our one length bamboo poles that went up to 12 feet at the most. Then we had 14- or -16-feet rods for anglers. Now anglers are wanting their rods out away from the boat even farther so now crappie anglers can select from 8- to 20-feet long rods,” said Wells.

There have been so many changes in fishing rods over the years and so many more to come. Crappie anglers can expect rod materials to change for the better as new techniques demand for fishing rods to change to fit the technique.

Owner
    "Wear your PFD" "No texting n driving" slab
    Crappie.com members are the best
    Thanks Pico, jackie53, Crestliner08 thanked you for this post

Billbob is offline Crappie.com Legend - 2013 Guber Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Great read

Sent from my iPhone using Crappie.com Fishing mobile app
    PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM GEEZER

Crappie.com Pro Staff
    Guber Pro Staff
    Cane Pole Pro Staff
    Haulin Ash Pro Staff

"G" is offline Super Duper Moderator - 2012 Crappie.Com Man of the year & 2018 Crappie.com Decade of Exceptional Service Awards * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

Very good read and video

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Crappie.com Fishing mobile app
    I have spent most my life fishing........the rest I wasted.
    PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM GEEZER
    PICO Lures Field Rep

jackie53 is offline Crappie.com Legend * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks. Crappie Poles and Crappie Rods.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J120A using Crappie.com Fishing mobile app
    John 3:16
    Blessed to have as many friends as fingers on your hand is a blessing!!!
    "Gone fish'n not wish'n"
    In God We Trust.
    Can God trust us.

Post Thanks / Like

BnM is our oldest/longest sponsor here on Crappie.com. We love BnM poles. Support those that support us.

Owner
    "Wear your PFD" "No texting n driving" slab
    Crappie.com members are the best
    Likes 1187mg, DRFISHDUCK LIKED above post
    Thanks "G", shipahoy41 thanked you for this post

sinkermaker is offline Crappie.com Legend * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Great read

Post Thanks / Like

Enjoyed reading this!
    I can do all things through Christ, who strengthens me.

skeetbum is offline Crappie.com Legend - Moderator Jig Tying Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Got a bunch of BnM's and like em all. I sell a rod or two now and then, but the BnM's usually stay with me once I buy them. Great product.
    Creativity is just intelligence fooling around
    Likes shipahoy41, "G" LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

I absolutely love B n' M rods. Have 3 of them now and plan on another before the end of this season.
    "A voyage in search of knowledge need never abandon the spirit of adventure."
    Likes "G" LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

The difference in a fishing rod and a fishing pole is a reel seat and line guides. Rod has 'em, pole doesn't.

There's a difference between bamboo and cane too. Bamboo is a non-native species originally from Asia, while River Cane (Arundinaria Gigantea) has been growing in North America for millennia before white man ever got here. River cane is in the bamboo family, but it is more flexible, more durable, and has a better backbone than bamboo. I tried to fish with some bamboo poles I cut about 35 years ago and had trouble with some of them splitting lengthwise under pressure. Once I figured out the difference between river cane and bamboo, the cane poles I cut no longer split and they had more than enough backbone & strength to handle bigger fish. The river cane also has a narrower profile than bamboo and is less likely to split than bamboo is.

Jim

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast