HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Why long rods when pulling cranks?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Why long rods when pulling cranks?

Hey guys I’m pretty new to crappie.com. I’m 32 now and haven’t trolled for crappie since I was probably 10-12 years old with my now late grand father.

Back then he used 6’ poles usually had 4-6 out at a time. I understand spider rigging having long poles to get the bait away from the trolling motor, but scratching my head on pulling cranks.

I plan to start trolling again my self. The boat I just bought had a bar across the back with 4 monster rod holders and two monster rod holders one on each side on the gunnels.

From what have read I plan buy the poles and spread them out as described below.

Plan to put two 14’ poles one on each side of the gunnels at a 90 degree angle.

Two 12’ poles one on each side of the outside bar at a 45 degree angle and then two 10 or two 8’ poles in the center at say 15 degree angles.

If I done this with say all 6’or 7’ poles as described above what would I lose from a fishability and performance stand point?

Thanks in advance!! P.S. I am going to move the bar and rod holders on gunnels pictured. Previous owner set them up this way.
    Attached Images Attached Images    
    Likes S10CHEVY, ad1974, "D" LIKED above post
    Thanks jackie53 thanked you for this post

Post Thanks / Like

From what I understand long rods are used in combination with shorter rods to achieve lure separation. You will have mess trying to run 4 or more rods of equal length at the same time without planer boards.

It may work fine until you try to make a turn or hook a fish and it decides to swim sideways.

Post Thanks / Like

Now that you say that I remember my grand father pulling in the rods everytime before we made a turn, but going straight it worked for him with all the same rods lengths

Post Thanks / Like

Plan to put two 14’ poles one on each side of the gunnels at a 90 degree angle.

Two 12’ poles one on each side of the outside bar at a 45 degree angle and then two 10 or two 8’ poles in the center at say 15 degree angles.

Does this sound like a good spread 14’,12’ 10’ or would some other length poles be better?

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Atimm is correct ... the biggest reason for long rods for trolling methods is "separation" of the lines. Similar idea for "Pushing" rather than Longline Trolling --- so the boat can make shorter turns - or in the case of wide S turns, then the baits being closer to the boat means they track better than baits 2-3times as far back. Pushing uses heavy weights ahead of the baits to gain depth at the speeds normally associated with pushing/pulling cranks.

I Push cranks/jigs and use a combination of 14' - 10' - 6' rods (as seen in picture below):

Name:  20170801_131357.jpg
Views: 1088
Size:  107.5 KB

Left side holder front rod is 10' & back rod is 14'
    Right side holder front rod is 14' & back rod is 6'
    (but, that arrangement was just what I was using that day, because that's the rods I took with me that day)

Post Thanks / Like

you got nice rig my friend. i agree with what others said, however i dont think the different length rods make near as much of a difference when pulling straight off the back.theres really good videos on you tube with folks just using 7' medium action bass rods

M R Dux is offline Crappie.com Legend , 2018 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

With clients I run 4 -7 foot

Sent from my iPhone using Crappie.com Fishing mobile app
    www.crappie-gills-n-more.com
    Podunk Ideas Pro Staff /test platform
    PICO Lures Field Rep
    Excel Boats Pro Staff
    Likes 1187mg LIKED above post

M R Dux is offline Crappie.com Legend , 2018 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

7 foot Berkley Cherrywood Rods off the transom and a 14’ Southern Crappie SCR143T off each side.

Sent from my iPhone using Crappie.com Fishing mobile app
    www.crappie-gills-n-more.com
    Podunk Ideas Pro Staff /test platform
    PICO Lures Field Rep
    Excel Boats Pro Staff
    Likes Northforker, "D" LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Good morning, I appreciate the info! The more I look I make take the existing back bar off and get the Driftmaster t-5300 long lining system. Then run 2 16’, 2 12’, 2 8’, and lastly 2 6’ straight out the back for cranks.
    Likes blueball LIKED above post

"G" is offline Super Duper Moderator - 2012 Crappie.Com Man of the year & 2018 Crappie.com Decade of Exceptional Service Awards * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

Your spread would not be as wide.....so you would be covering less water if you used all short poles. I also set mine up where I have 4 ft of separation between the lines.
    Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Crappie.com Fishing mobile app
    Last edited by "G"; 07-24-2018 at 07:53 AM.
    I have spent most my life fishing........the rest I wasted.
    PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM GEEZER
    PICO Lures Field Rep
    Likes blueball LIKED above post

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast