HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: "Ambush from the Brush" Another Drawing by Special K

Post Thanks / Like

Cool "Ambush from the Brush" Another Drawing by Special K

I have been a crappie fisherman for most of my life and became a member of Crappie.com in October of 2010, so (needless to say), I have certainly learned much about crappie and crappie fishing. Still, that being said, I still have questions from time to time that cause me to do research or ask questions of those that may know from their own experiences.

As we all know: Two of the primary species of panfish found throughout North America are the black crappie (Pomoxis nigromaculatus) and the white crappie (Pomoxis annularis). Also, that crappies are members of the sunfish family, which also includes largemouth bass and bluegill, but our preferred crappies--are two of the largest of the panfish species. Here in central North Carolina, (at least in my area), black crappie are far more prevalent than are white crappie.

That being said: I have always known that crappies prefer and grow best in clear waters, but can also live in moderately turbid waters. I know that in regions where both white and black crappies are present, white crappies typically tend to be found in more turbid and warmer waters. I also know that there are many bodies of water (reservoirs, lakes, ponds, rivers) where both black and white crappies co-exist, which inspired the drawing below, which I have entitled "Ambush from the Brush."

Name:  Ambush from the Brush 740-2.jpg
Views: 474
Size:  75.8 KB

QUESTION: Knowing that both black and white crappies can live in the same reservoir or body of water... Is it common to catch both black and white crappies in the same area? In other words... can you catch black, white, black, white, white, black in a clearly random order while using the same tactics and presentations in your state or favorite body of water?

Please let me know your thoughts and share your experiences on this subject matter.

May God Bless You & Yours,

Wayne, aka Special K
    "Just Like Iron Sharpens Iron... So it is that One Man Sharpens Another Man." Proverbs 27:17
    Likes DV8ed, KyTyer, chaunc, shipahoy41, S10CHEVY, Rink LIKED above post

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Most of our lakes in KY have both, and in those that I've fished I have caught them "together" (out of the same spot) on many occasions. I've also done it in lakes I've fished in Tenn. Mostly I've caught them casting jigs, as I have done that far longer than Pushing jigs or cranks. Even back in my youth and back when I mostly used minnows ... catching both species was not a "special" thing. They were just "Crappie" to me, so their specie designation didn't matter.

Sample of one days trip to a local lake:

Name:  DSCF0359_zpsee2e5960.JPG
Views: 430
Size:  33.2 KB
    Likes KyTyer LIKED above post
    Thanks Special K thanked you for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Special K View Post

That being said: I have always known that crappies prefer and grow best in clear waters

Name:  Ambush from the Brush 740-2.jpg
Views: 474
Size:  75.8 KB

QUESTION: Knowing that both black and white crappies can live in the same reservoir or body of water... Is it common to catch both black and white crappies in the same area? In other words... can you catch black, white, black, white, white, black in a clearly random order while using the same tactics and presentations in your state or favorite body of water?

Please let me know your thoughts and share your experiences on this subject matter.

May God Bless You & Yours,

Wayne, aka Special K
    I know two lakes around here that are muddy or stained year round and grow some dandies. I've also caught a white and black crappie off the same stump a time or two. Cool drawing, keep up the good work!

Post Thanks / Like

Default "Ambush from the Brush" Another Drawing by Special K

Name:  IMG_1168.jpg
Views: 355
Size:  70.9 KB
    First picture early spring pre spawn spider rigging
    Name:  IMG_1337.jpg
Views: 348
Size:  69.1 KB
    Second Picture Shallow Water Spawning in brushpile
    Name:  IMG_2094.jpg
Views: 354
Size:  69.8 KB
    Third picture Pulling cranks in open water
    Name:  IMG_2053.jpg
Views: 370
Size:  98.7 KB
    Fourth picture vertical jigging deep brush (20+) foot deep. Lakes in East Tennessee have both and I catch both on a regular basis. Nice artwork, keep it up.

Sent from my iPhone using Crappie.com Fishing mobile app

Post Thanks / Like

I have caught both fishing the same spots many times also.I have caught them while fishing minnows and jigs using the same techniques.Like CrappyPappy said i just thought it was normal.When i was a kid i just thought one was darker than the other.Didnt know there were white and black crappie...just crappie.

Great talent there.Nice drawing.

Post Thanks / Like

I concur with the above posts. Excellent drawing!
    I can do all things through Christ, who strengthens me.

shipahoy41 is offline Crappie.com Legend - 2022 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I also have caught both black and white crappie withing three minutes and using the same artificial lure. Wayne, your drawings and superb. You have a wonderful gift.

Mike
    Aquatic Species Removal Engineer.
    May God be with you. Keep CALM and STAY ANCHORED with your faith.

Post Thanks / Like

nice artwork sir , I ketch black and white crappie together frequently myself ,most of the time when it happens its a water body that has numerous specimens of both to be had .
    sum kawl me tha outlaw ketchn whales

Eagle 1 is offline Crappie.com Legend and Mississippi Moderator * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

There are two areas on Enid that stand out when someone mention black crappie . You stand about a 70 % chance of it being black at those two places . Crazy thing is I personally have not caught a hand full in 23 yrs. anywhere else on that lake . why ? No idea.