Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: power troller rods and open face Shakesspears, What line to run?

Post Thanks / Like

Default power troller rods and open face Shakesspears, What line to run?

Got new 16' B&M power trollers and some open face shakespears to push and pull cranks with. They may double duty for Stripers and Hybrids, so I was considering 20lb braid Kastking in 1000 yard bulk spool.

Does this make sense or should I go a different route?

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I run 30lb braid on my PST ... with a 3ft leader of 6lb test mono. But, I'm using baitcast reels. If your spinning reels are capable of handling the braid & have the capacity to hold the length of line needed ... I see no reason why they wouldn't work just fine.

Just be sure to use some mono backing on the reels, then finish filling the spool with the braid. That'll stop the braid from spinning on the arbor (under pressure) due to the "no stretch & slickness" of braid.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Pappy. I think Im going to take that route.

BTW, Do you think I should step up to 30lb since the braid is so thin or stick with 20lb?
    Last edited by Hammmerhead; 07-20-2018 at 04:15 PM.

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I think 20lb will do. Some of my other Pushing rods have lighter lb mono and braid, and they work just fine. Most folks seem to favor 10lb mono, and most 30lb braid is the same diameter as 10lb mono. Line counter reels calibrate best with that diameter line, so that may be why it's so popular.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J327A using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

10 or 12 mono and go with it. Make sure to fill those line counter reels up, they will be more accurate.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk