PDA

View Full Version : Newbie Crappie question.

dragnframe
07-20-2018, 07:54 AM
Newbie here that just started fishing with my 7yr old boy that wanted to get into fishing. We have been fishing for crappie at our local lake and have little success, but that's another story. Yesterday while talking to a guy he warned me that we shouldn't keep and eat any crappie we catch this time of year. He said its to hot, they get soft and can even have worms. I have never hear of this. Is there any truth to this? I live in Ohio and while it has been 10 15 above avg temps, is it safe to eat the fish still?

Thanks

LowellZ
07-20-2018, 08:03 AM
Newbie here that just started fishing with my 7yr old boy that wanted to get into fishing. We have been fishing for crappie at our local lake and have little success, but that's another story. Yesterday while talking to a guy he warned me that we shouldn't keep and eat any crappie we catch this time of year. He said its to hot, they get soft and can even have worms. I have never hear of this. Is there any truth to this? I live in Ohio and while it has been 10 15 above avg temps, is it safe to eat the fish still?

ThanksI have never heard this but I am in Mississippi and it is sweltering hot outside with a water temp in the 90's. I am still eating my catch :) sounds like a superstition to me.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Crappie.com Fishing mobile app (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=87936)

Nutbush
07-20-2018, 08:13 AM
Sounds like he is trying to keep the lake to himself.

SlabSeeker0485
07-20-2018, 08:28 AM
We caught a mess in 100 degree heat last weekend here in Arkansas and they hit the grease last night. Never heard of that either.

dragnframe
07-20-2018, 08:37 AM
Didn't make sense to me, but I thought, I better ask being a new to all this.

Thanks

trypman1
07-20-2018, 08:47 AM
Filet and soak over night- They are fine, I have never seen worms in them.

lowe175
07-20-2018, 08:51 AM
Crappie do get worms but they are not harmful to humans. If you put them on ice the worms move back into the guts of the fish. No problem eating crappie all year as long as it's cooked properly. Once you know you're going to keep fish put then on ice.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Crappie.com Fishing mobile app (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=87936)

stormcloud
07-20-2018, 08:57 AM
The worms he is speaking of are nematodes. It is common to find them in lakes that have septic tank run off from older homes on
the lake. New builds were not allowed to do this. The Game & Fish say they are safe to eat. I throw them away. They are easy
to see when you filet the fish. There will be white and pinkish dots in the filet. If the filet is clean, eat it.

Ketchn
07-20-2018, 09:04 AM
ice them when you ketch them and cook them until done ….
that's bla bla bla for sure

deathb4disco
07-20-2018, 10:19 AM
Newbie here that just started fishing with my 7yr old boy that wanted to get into fishing. We have been fishing for crappie at our local lake and have little success ...

I know this is not what you're asking about, but I thought I'd throw it out anyway. Summertime crappie fishing can be a challenge, especially if you're new. I suggest getting some crickets, meal worms, or wax worms and fishing for bluegill. Fish them under a float or as a "sweetener" on a jig.

Kids don't care about the species or how big they are. They just want to catch something. Fishing bait for bluegills is a good start.

SpeckledSlab
07-20-2018, 10:49 AM
We’ve always eaten them year round. The one issue that also arises, in respect to worms, is if you’ harvesting fish from a land-locked, non-spring fed lake with extremely low water levels due to drought. Great question and great job of spending time with your son fishing. As many members here I could never have thanked my dad,as well as others, enough who invested their time to take me when I was a kid.

EWS
07-20-2018, 11:07 AM
My six year old knows the different species of fish we catch around here. However, in her and her little sister's minds, there are catfish and then bluegill. They either want to go catch a bunch of fish or big fish.

sinkermaker
07-20-2018, 11:22 AM
Ice ice them down and eat them. Are you boat fishing or bank fishing

CrappiePappy
07-20-2018, 02:22 PM
It is "true" that the meat can be "mushy" when taken out of very warm lake waters ... but, icing them down or refrigerating them overnight can firm up their meat.

And as has been said ... "worms" are possible, but not harmful. Warm water can also be a factor in fungus growth on injured fish (where the slime has been scraped off or the skin punctured. It's aesthetically unpleasing, just like the "worms", but if properly cleaned & cooked you won't know the difference. I'd be long dead if it weren't so. :biggrin

murdok
07-20-2018, 02:43 PM
only thing i do different when its hot is i just put em straight in a cooler. dont use the livewell at all. plus cold fish clean easier :twocents:cheers2

dragnframe
07-21-2018, 07:42 AM
Thanks for the advice guys. I will remember to chill them right away before cleaning them. We have a while I think before we are to the point of having a bunch to clean at once.

We are still struggling to find the at ur lake and the ones we have, haven't been keepers. But we will keep at it.

tenncrappie
07-21-2018, 08:30 AM
Been eating them for 50 yrs can't find no difference on my end.

Sent from my E6782 using Crappie.com Fishing mobile app (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=87936)

LittleJohn
07-21-2018, 08:57 AM
What every one saying about putting them on ice is right on. The fish will be better eating and will clean better. If it anyway possible I will soak my fish in Sea Salt water overnight. Takes all the blood out of the fish and gives you a fresh tasting white fillet.
LittleJohn

dragnframe
07-21-2018, 09:14 AM
What every one saying about putting them on ice is right on. The fish will be better eating and will clean better. If it anyway possible I will soak my fish in Sea Salt water overnight. Takes all the blood out of the fish and gives you a fresh tasting white fillet.
LittleJohn

You soak the whole fish before you clean it or do you filet It and then just soak the meat?

Nathan Brotzman
07-21-2018, 09:47 AM
Catch and eat them! Just as soon as you catch them put them on ice

Sent from my LGL84VL using Crappie.com Fishing mobile app (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=87936)

LittleJohn
07-21-2018, 09:54 PM
Dragnframe I fillet and clean the fish first,then put the fillets in sea salt water.
LittleJohn