Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Day after storm - numbers/ not quality

Post Thanks / Like

Default Day after storm - numbers/ not quality

Yesterday we finally had an end to 90 degree days with a severe storm that left 1" of rain. Granted, if you're covered with the proper clothing, 90 degrees with something to drink is bearable and fish can still be caught. I was concerned about the affect a cold front might have on a local lake I reported on a few days ago. The only difference was that of the 76 fish caught, most were 9" crappies, many gills and a few small bass.

I had a feeling fish weren't going to be near shore so I worked deeper water near rises far from shore and parallel to it. 8# test braid with a 6" test fluorocarbon leader on a 6' UL rod did fine along with staying with 1/32 and 1/24 oz jigs. The plastic baits had enough added weight to cast over 30' and at times small schools provided 5 fish or more.

One thing I had to try was modified Sassy Shad Grubs. The original didn't get many strikes so I swapped tails with a thin tail grub I poured that morning using the usual candle flame. I also streamline the Shad body by cutting part of the belly off. Got slammed by 4 species!

A prong tail also worked well:

The boat stayed in 6-7' and I cast mostly towards the deeper water where I found schools suspended; isolated fish were caught shoreward. Again, the boat moved parallel to shore and I even caught a few fish vertical jigging after an arc showed up on the sonar screen.

I can't say that the Sassy Shad didn't catch anything - it did, but that lure needs a steady retrieve which the fish weren't chasing except this one (note the belly was cut off to make the lure more streamline):

Amazing what a cold front feels like in July and though the water temperature was still 84, hot or cold it doesn't matter. Right lure, retrieved slow gets bit!
    Likes wannabe fisherman, Rink, S10CHEVY LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Good post. A lot of action is always fun. I like your description of your baits and how you make or modify them. Handy information.

Post Thanks / Like

I modify baits sometimes myself. Been known to shorten tails and trim down bodies and even shorten bodies as well . Sometimes a little goes a long ways on the bite ...nice read
    sum kawl me tha outlaw ketchn whales