Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Crappie very shallow

Post Thanks / Like

Default Crappie very shallow

Fished this morning off the dock, caught a 7# catfish on an ultralight/small jig fishing for crappie. My net was in my boat so had to lay down and grab the sucker by the mouth, what a chomp from him I got. Caught him on 4# test so had to be careful. Caught over 150 crappie today at least 2/3 of them being keepers. Kept only 10 all over 11", biggest 13 1/2".

Fished in the afternoon, trying a lot of different places, since my boat is running good. Early evening found a lot of fish right on the bank and they were the bigger fish. Did not use crappie cranks, will do that tomorrow.
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    the trick to catch that finnicky speck....
    gently set the hook just before the peck

Post Thanks / Like

Nice job. What part of the lake are you fishing?
    Mike

Post Thanks / Like

Good work Husker.

Congrats.

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty ia a well-armed lamb contesting the vote." - Benjamin Franklin.

Post Thanks / Like

Fishing Niangua Arm. Finding some 64 degree water in late afternoon, sure there is even warmer water back of north shallow coves where the sun hits the water most of the day. Fishing these areas that are very close to deep water are best.....like they say, "fish the edges of the deep."

Post Thanks / Like

nice catfish
    "Those who will trade a little liberty for a little security will lose both and deserve neither" Thomas Jefferson

Post Thanks / Like

Default Nice work, Husker

I've had good luck down here the past two days, too. I'm on the Glaize arm about a mile from the bridge. Had 12 keepers yesterday all of which were good sized. Caught my limit this morning in an hour and 15 minutes although they ran just a bit smaller in size on average.

They are shallow. I'd drop my jig from the dock until I couldn't see it and that's when they would hit. White/chartreuse Slab Busters with a chartreuse nibble was what I was using.

It's fun fishing right now -- that's for sure.
    - LOZcrappie (Scott)

I would not exchange my leisure hours for all the wealth in the world. --Comte de Mirabeau (1749-1791)

Post Thanks / Like

good job husker,your right it's hammer time,couldnt make the trip to miss so i will just have to load em up here,loz was headed your way but didn't get past patterson holler had my 15 that weighed a average 1 3/4 lb w/char slab and char slyder slow retrieve after count down, heading back tomorrow and try again will try to get there this time--fuzz--- hey bugs it's hammer time!!!
    IT'S 5--O-CLOCK SOMEWHERE,,,MIKE-p

PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM GEEZER

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up

Good comments from all, thanks!
    Bite was still on bigtime yesterday. It's funny, you can go to an area and catch crappie on just about every cast, go to another almost identical looking place and......nothing. Also always wonder why some docks hold crappie certain times of the year and hold very few at other times...even docks in similar water..depth, closeness to dropoffs and shallow water, etc. Must be something in the water.:rolleyes:

Windy enough for everyone today? Did not fish a lot, just from the dock. Catch and release most of the day.

Bass tournaments in full swing this weekend. Large and noisy migration of bass boats heading down river this morning about 7:00. Then here comes another covey back going up river a little later. You would think some of the boaters would have second thoughts about which way to head when they see the bevy of boats heading the way from which they came. If it was me I would stay around the area where the tournaments start cuz that's where they release all of the fish after they are weighed! :D
    Last edited by CrappieHusker; 03-31-2007 at 08:11 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Sounds like you guys are having fun. Heading up to the Glaize Monday. If you all see a white aluminum Triton give me a shout. Dave

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by old fuzzy
    good job husker,your right it's hammer time,couldnt make the trip to miss so i will just have to load em up here,loz was headed your way but didn't get past patterson holler had my 15 that weighed a average 1 3/4 lb w/char slab and char slyder slow retrieve after count down, heading back tomorrow and try again will try to get there this time--fuzz--- hey bugs it's hammer time!!!
    Fuzzy, is Patterson Holler on LOZ and if so, did you really mean to say you caught a limit averaging 1 and 3/4 pounds. If so, let's you and I hook up and fish the upcoming Crappie Masters tourney. I am a great net man.
    Mike

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast