HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Know thy water!

Post Thanks / Like

Default Know thy water!

I've been fishing in a local county park lake for five species recently because of how near to my house it is. The state stocked it recently with decent size crappie and bass an it shows with daily catches over 40 fish and crappie averaging over 10". The kayak anglers yesterday were beating the banks when I got to the lake but I knew better the open water pattern that has been happening daily since the water temperature has been staying above 80 daytime.

The fish location pattern I discovered and that has persisted for over a week, involves finding flat areas with rises such as humps and flats adjacent to drops of 2 or more feet. Depth fish were caught in averaged 6.5' - 8' and at one point I anchored for an hour catching fish all around the boat. No point fishing shaded banks because fish haven't been there for a while. I even caught a few fish beneath the sonar transducer after seeing a fish arch.

8# test braid with 6# test f/c leader proved a better combo than braid alone. It's something about how braid allows for the best strike detection and hook sets with long distance casts and how fluorocarbon allows the best lure action at any depth. 1/24 oz jigs with plastics no larger than 2 1/4" and in different designs accounted for over 135 fish in three outings and included crappie, perch, sunfish and bass. I caught a catfish that put a nice bend in my light action rod.

The lure used was a hand poured stick worm, wacky rigged on a light jighead.

I also caught fish with them rigged the usual way:

Up until a few years ago I always thought grubs should have and action tail to generate strikes. Guess I was wrong.

What helped hold boat position in hot areas 70 yds from shore was a buoy marker I made using a swim noodle:

Drifting too shallow or too deep put me off fish when the boat wasn't anchored and kept me over bottom structure few if any knew about not using sonar. (The taped on screws kept the float from rotating and preventing more rope out than necessary.)

The only thing that forced me off the lake was the thunderstorm with a torrential downpour that was approaching from the west:

Awesome to look at, dangerous to be in!
    Last edited by Spoonminnow; 07-16-2018 at 02:42 AM.
    Likes Skippa Chippa, Redge, S10CHEVY, Mintaka LIKED above post
    Thanks skunked again thanked you for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Great report and some fine fishing. Thanks for sharing.
    "A voyage in search of knowledge need never abandon the spirit of adventure."

Post Thanks / Like

Good post and catches.
    Pass the "Sportsman Baton" on before you're gone, promote values for others to hunt and fish upon.

Post Thanks / Like

I love small lakes , congrats
    sum kawl me tha outlaw ketchn whales

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks all. I keep a photo journal log of every lake I fish and no longer depend on memories to remind me of what worked, when and where.
    It goes like this: a particular lake folder that includes folders of each outing on the lake titled: lake name and date and sometimes numbers caught per a belt counter.

This is a record of seasonal variations, lures that worked, fish quality and species, pattern(s) that worked that day or week, unusual events (my partner finally catching fish!). As they say, pictures are worth a thousand words and don't lie when it comes to facts and the truth.

Redge is offline Crappie.com Legend - 2017 Man Of The Year
    Post Thanks / Like

Nice post!! I enjoyed that storm photo, thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Crappie.com Fishing mobile app
    Proud Member of Team Geezer!

Post Thanks / Like

Congrats and nice report

sinkermaker is offline Crappie.com Legend * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Congratulations on the catch and thanks for sharing post and pictures

Post Thanks / Like

Here are a few lures included in the Lake X/ July 15 2018 folder for future reference:
    Injection pour minnow......... Tail of a finesse worm

Spike tail added to grub body (after curl tail removed):

modified Sassy Shad body and tail :

anchored in 6.5'

across from:
    Likes Mintaka LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Small lakes are fun

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast