Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Batteries ?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Batteries ?

Do you all put distilled water in your trolling motor batteries or can you use regular well water? Just curious. I checked the water level in my batteries tonight and they are 3/4 low in all the cells. I just checked them two weeks ago. I guess from all the heat here in NC , I run 24v

Sent from my iPad using Crappie.com Fishing mobile app

Post Thanks / Like

I always used the water coming out of the home air conditioner drain.Pure distilled water.Regular water will add minerals and other chemicals and decrease the battery life.
    Likes gravelman6 LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

I use distilled water.

Sent from my iPhone using Crappie.com

Post Thanks / Like

I thought so I just wanted to make sure I was right in what I was thinking. Thanks

Post Thanks / Like

Use distilled water only (most grocery stores carry it at a very low cost). Or rain water. It cannot be regular tap water which is treated with chemicals. Especially in this heat, it's important to check at least once ever week or two.
    "A voyage in search of knowledge need never abandon the spirit of adventure."

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

You are also supposed to add the distilled water to a fully charged battery. The exception being when the lead plates are exposed, then add enough distilled water to cover them and then charge them up ... then top them off with distilled water to just under the fill hole.
    Likes Cropduster1968, SpeckledSlab LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Just to confirm my well water is full of minerals and the deposit on the cell shorting battery life. I save and use water out of a dehumidifier and seems to work. Distilled watered should work also as one guy posted. Good luck.
    Likes RogerA LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks guys ,topped them off and got them on charge. Will check them tomorrow

Zman is offline Crappie Wall Hanger II * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

There is a little ring just below the cap ,I keep mine filled up to there with distilled water , and was told to always charge the battery,then fill the battery.
    I was told that for my Golf cart battery’s too

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Zman View Post
    There is a little ring just below the cap ,I keep mine filled up to there with distilled water , and was told to always charge the battery,then fill the battery.
    I was told that for my Golf cart battery’s too
    (Quoted from battery maintenance website)

If the electrolyte levels are low in non-sealed batteries, allow the battery to cool and add distilled water to the level indicated by the battery manufacturer. If this is not indicated, use 1/4 inch (7 mm) below the bottom of the plastic filler tube (vent wells). The plates need to be covered at all times. Avoid overfilling, especially in hot climates, because heat will cause the electrolyte to expand and overflow.