Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Crappie Jon Setup Questions / Alweld Marsh

Post Thanks / Like

Default Crappie Jon Setup Questions / Alweld Marsh

Getting close to pulling the trigger on a new jon. Plan is to use my current 25HP yammy on the new boat, so I'm looking hard at the Alweld 1648 Marsh (see pic). It seems to fit my mental ideals of a new boat. Any drawbacks to this type of boat? Any suggestions or something I haven't thought about?

What I want in a new boat:
    • Open floor plan so can move around in the boat
    • Storage (I can add storage options to this Alweld when I order)
    • Can fish more than two people (three adults, or 4 total if kids are involved)
    • Versitle

My fishing styles are:
    • Casting for crappie, bream, bass, etc
    • Spider rigging up front
    • Trolling cranks out the sides and back

One concern I have is the casting deck might be too small on this boat?

Name:  Screen Shot 2018-07-09 at 9.19.33 AM.jpg
Views: 1156
Size:  24.8 KB

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Even if the capacity is 4people/565lbs ... you might be stretching it to get 3 adults & a child in under that weight limit.
    It's going to be even more crowded if you sacrifice floor space to add storage lockers.
    I'm also wondering if a 25hp Yammy is going to be enough engine (with 4people/gear), since the boat's rated for a 40hp motor.

You might be able to make the front deck "longer" by using a 6" offset pedestal pole for the front seat. They're also nice to have for boats that tend to "rock/lean" when the person in the back of the boat moves around or wants to fish off the same side of the boat as you are. They also make it more comfortable to use a foot pedal for the trolling motor, and not have it "right under your knees".

What type of rod holders do you have (or intend to have) ?? Mounting them where they're easily accessible, but not too close, "may be" a concern.
    Likes SpeckledSlab LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the reply. I fish single or with one other person 95% of the time. Adding additional kids or adults once or twice a year at most, so not too concerned about that. I use driftmaster today, having them too close for comfort is one thing I'm worried about.

Post Thanks / Like

I used to have one very similar. I would go anywhere and caught tons and tons of fish out of it. Front deck is small, and dangerously crowded with two. You would sacrifice too much with added storage, and you also will be lacking power with a 25. Also, the light weight of the boat makes it a wind sail and led me to many early days back to the ramp. Not trying to be so negative, but all truths you need to consider.

Sent from my Z983 using Tapatalk
    HAND TIED CRAPPIE JIGS CRAPPIECOLLECTORS JIGS

https://www.etsy.com/shop/CRAPPIECOL...g_id=515350944
    Likes skeetbum LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

First off, up here on some of our reservoirs, a 25 hp 4 stroke is all that is allowed. Using an 18' open (tiller steer) Lund with 3 anglers and all the gear, we were easily able to get up to 20 mph (GPS calculated) and on plane easily. Hull design can be a factor however. I would be concerned with the weight if you plan on 3 adults, a teenagage and all the gear, but the problem I see is space, more than power. That's asking an awful lot out of a 16' boat of any kind in my opinion. Good luck on your choice.

BTW, have you compared boat mfgs. specs as far as width goes? 4" one way or the other can make a significant difference as far as fish-ability goes with that many people. When I had my Crestliner (years ago!), it was the widest hull on the market. You'd do well to look at boat specs and comparisons. It's a daunting decision - I know!
    "A voyage in search of knowledge need never abandon the spirit of adventure."

Post Thanks / Like

I have a 1648 and wish I would have gotten the 1654. My 25 Yamaha pushes it fast enough for me.

"G" is offline Super Duper Moderator - 2012 Crappie.Com Man of the year & 2018 Crappie.com Decade of Exceptional Service Awards * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

Dont get in a hurry....take your time and look around some more before you decide. .

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Crappie.com Fishing mobile app
    I have spent most my life fishing........the rest I wasted.
    PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM GEEZER
    PICO Lures Field Rep
    Likes SpeckledSlab, ford man LIKED above post

cevans is offline Crappie.com Legend * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

add up everything you plan on installing on the boat. Trolling motor, 3 batteries, gas and tank, rod holders, you name it, it all adds up in total weight. Then figure the ave. weight of all the bodies and coolers, and tackle also. That will give you a starting point of what you might be looking for. My 2015 25 Yamaha pushes my 1648 flatbottom fully loaded, 26 mph.

authorized by: Billbob and "G"

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for all the responses, here are some answers to questions and comments:
    • I think my 25HP will push it fine. I don't fish tournaments, so I don't need to get there that quick
    • I have my 25HP on my current jon which is slightly smaller, I'm happy with the performance
    • Once thing I have to allow for is fitting it in the garage, this is a good size for that
    • I usually fish solo or with one other person. I might add a third very rarely, so that's not a big concern

My biggest concern with the boat pictured is space on the deck for the trolling motor, fish finder, and rod holders for spider rigging and such. The offset pedestal suggestion is fantastic.

If it wasn't for the small deck I think this would be an easy choice. I can't find any pictures or reviews or anything else with people actually fishing from this model

"G" is offline Super Duper Moderator - 2012 Crappie.Com Man of the year & 2018 Crappie.com Decade of Exceptional Service Awards * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

Your right.... Front deck is awful small
    I have spent most my life fishing........the rest I wasted.
    PICO Lures Field Rep
    Likes skeetbum LIKED above post

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast