HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Planer board question

Post Thanks / Like

Default Planer board question

When I bought my old boat about 5 years ago, I found a planer board in it, at the time I just threw it in the drawer and forgot about it. Now that I am addicted to pulling cranks, I'm liking the planer idea. But have never used them before, I see how they hook up, but don't know how to judge depth behind them or what exactly the slide weight on the bottom controls. Thanks, here's a pic of the one I got. Name:  20180707_174226.jpg
Views: 481
Size:  31.3 KB

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Crappie.com Fishing mobile app
    Thanks LOZslabhunter thanked you for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Run the crankbait out the distance you want. Hook up planer release board it will pull out to side when it it distance from boat you like engage reel. Put in rod holder.
    Likes Clownfish LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Sounds pretty simple, thank you for the info. Looking forward to playing around with it when I can get out again.

Post Thanks / Like

I just bought a couple of the same board to try and catch walleye pulling cranks and Crappie. I called the number on the board and reached Bill - he was super helpful and explained the board and how it should work. There are a few ways you can connect the line on that board, you can actually flip the clip around and will not release the line if you catch a fish. Or you can keep it like you have it and set it up to release if you catch fish. You do need to run a swivel above your crank so that the board does not run into your fish. The little pin in the back keeps your board on the line at all times. The weight will adjust the attitude of the board based on what you are pulling. I am still learning and get frustrated when I get snagged up. You might want to give them a call if you have time.
    Likes Clownfish LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

I'm just learning about planer boards myself, I bought Offshore planer boards and use line counter reels to measure how far I have the crank behind the board. Been using Flicker Shad lures and they usually have a graph chart in the package on what depth they will run on how much line you have out. I still have a lot to learn.

Post Thanks / Like

I pull cranks with planer boards 2-3 times a week. They work really good and to me I don't get tangled up. I fish 3 planer boards off each side at the back of the boat and 2 middle rods straight back with no boards at different depths. I made my boards my self , here are a couple of picturesName:  IMG_1124.jpg
Views: 397
Size:  117.2 KB
    Name:  IMG_1126.jpg
Views: 286
Size:  130.4 KB
    Name:  IMG_1130.jpg
Views: 337
Size:  82.4 KB

Sent from my iPhone using Crappie.com Fishing mobile app
    Likes Bigby LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Potatoe View Post
    I just bought a couple of the same board to try and catch walleye pulling cranks and Crappie. I called the number on the board and reached Bill - he was super helpful and explained the board and how it should work. There are a few ways you can connect the line on that board, you can actually flip the clip around and will not release the line if you catch a fish. Or you can keep it like you have it and set it up to release if you catch fish. You do need to run a swivel above your crank so that the board does not run into your fish. The little pin in the back keeps your board on the line at all times. The weight will adjust the attitude of the board based on what you are pulling. I am still learning and get frustrated when I get snagged up. You might want to give them a call if you have time.
    If I'm reading this correctly, you DO NOT want the board to stay on with the fish all the way to the boat. Planers are designed to create resistance against the water and that, along with the angle, is what pushes them out away from the boat. If you leave that planer on as you reel a fish in, it will dive on you and put a lot of strain on your rod, gear, arm, etc. Simplest tactic, reel the planer in, detach, ski Mr. Crappie into da boat.

When I'm salmon, walleye or crappie fishing, it never fails that I have a planer dive on me when hooked up and it's a b*tch.

U

Post Thanks / Like

Some times it will dive on me but I try to keep the release clip tension kinda heavy on it so it doesn't release that way I can take it off. It's just something different I enjoy doing and sometimes I will just pull cranks especially if the bite is a little more fast pace

Sent from my iPhone using Crappie.com Fishing mobile app