Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Trolling with big motor

Post Thanks / Like

Default Trolling with big motor

Working on an idea... Just wondering how many here are trolling with the big motor and steering with an ipilot?

"G" is offline Super Duper Moderator - 2012 Crappie.Com Man of the year & 2018 Crappie.com Decade of Exceptional Service Awards * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

I trolled with a Yamaha 115 four stroke for 6 years...Had a Troll a Matic trolling plate on the outboard ....worked pretty good. I have a 24 volt 80 lb thrust Terrova now that I troll with. I like it lots better can set it on a gps course.
    I have spent most my life fishing........the rest I wasted.
    PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM GEEZER
    PICO Lures Field Rep

Post Thanks / Like

I have trolled with big outboards, I/O motors, kickers, and trolling motors.

Currently, when walleye fishing, I run the trolling motor until the speed pushes the motor over a "5" setting. After that, I fire up the kicker motor and use the bow mount to steer. Works well.

Some bigger motors have the ability to add features that allow you to troll at slower than normal idle speeds. It will allow you to alter your RPM by 50 at a time in order to bump your speed up or down. Trolling plates are common here in Michigan as is trolling bags or drift socks deployed to slow you down while trolling. Designated kicker motors with lower gear ratios that turn large props at slower speeds is the best option here however it isn't always in everyone's budget.
    I have OCD "Obsessive Crappie Disorder"
    Likes Dutchman LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Been using big motor and steering with trolling motor since 2010.Mercury 2stroke carb 90,no problems so far.

Sent from my SM-S907VL using Tapatalk

Cray is offline Crappie.com 2019 Man of Year, Supermod & Moderator of the Mechanics Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Like Blueball, been doing it a long time. Just find a way to lock steering wheel down ( bunge cord ) then set trolling motor at a speed where it will actually steer the boat with big motor pushing. Usually 3.5 to 4 works on mine. It will steer the boat but put very little strain on batteries cause big motor is doing all the work.
    Proud Member of Team Geezer
    Charlie Weaver USN/ENC 1965-1979

Post Thanks / Like

I've been trolling with the big motor into, or cross wind and steering with the I pilot for a couple of years now, and when I go with the wind I use only the i pilot. Also have my 55lb. thrust Minn Kota wired with 2 AGM group 31s in series. So I am on my I pilot most of the time.
    Before I had an I pilot, I used to use the 55 lb. Power Drive to pull the boat straight ahead and would use the big motor (not running)to steer with. Worked really well, but no where as convenient as the I pilot.

Post Thanks / Like

Also I would like to have a kicker motor on my Alumacraft 165 competitor, but I dont think there is enough room back there. I have an 87 inch wide beam.

Etowah, Tn. foothills to the Smokey Mountains
    Post Thanks / Like

Have a happy troller I use with big motor and steer with the I-pilot.

Post Thanks / Like

Talked with a guy that will do this without the prop turning on the TM and just use the TM for steering. Run big motor for push

I have not tried it yet

Post Thanks / Like

My idea was a larger " rudder" device that would fit over the skeg of the trolling motor and clamp on with hose clamps. I could use the ipilot to steer without the trolling motor actually running, just for steering.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast