Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Night fishing

Post Thanks / Like

Default Night fishing

I'm seriously thinking about trying to learn the art of catching crappie at night. I've read some of your posts. High Rock is my home lake. Any advice, suggestions, or do's and don'ts would be appreciated.

Post Thanks / Like

Scout for fish before the sun sets. They won't move far from those spots.
    Don't fall out of the boat.
    I prefer hanging a Coleman white gas lantern about 2' above head high and 3' off the side of the boat. It will draw the bugs, they die, feed baitfish, bait fish feeding draws in crappie and every other species in the area. Plus the bugs bother the light, not you. If no one smokes in the boat, bring incense, mosquitoes don't like smoke.

Sent from my XT1710-02 using Crappie.com Fishing mobile app
    HOI Crappie Club
    Where family and friends come to compete for a little more than bragging rights.

Quick, someone teach me how to fish so I can win this tournament!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Find a brush pile or a drop-off and set up. I usually fish water 20-30 ft deep with lines 10, 12, 15 ft down.

Post Thanks / Like

I tried the night crappie thang on Tuesday night. Didn’t know there going to be fireworks a day early. Setup under the #8 bridge a tad early, then rose the waves as the party boat convoy.came through. Used minnows and fished from top to bottom with a green LED submersible. Caught 2 smalls and several perch. Always heard, “follow the bait”. Well I couldn’t have gotten any closer to the bait! Bait was swarming in clumps. I guess I’ll try it again, looking for some brush or other structure.

Name:  IMG_1988.jpg
Views: 544
Size:  59.8 KBName:  IMG_1986.jpg
Views: 541
Size:  23.3 KB

Sent from my iPhone using Crappie.com Fishing mobile app
    Likes BigDawgg LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Default how deep

Quote Originally Posted by oljd View Post
    I tried the night crappie thang on Tuesday night. Didn’t know there going to be fireworks a day early. Setup under the #8 bridge a tad early, then rose the waves as the party boat convoy.came through. Used minnows and fished from top to bottom with a green LED submersible. Caught 2 smalls and several perch. Always heard, “follow the bait”. Well I couldn’t have gotten any closer to the bait! Bait was swarming in clumps. I guess I’ll try it again, looking for some brush or other structure.

Name:  IMG_1988.jpg
Views: 544
Size:  59.8 KBName:  IMG_1986.jpg
Views: 541
Size:  23.3 KB

july/aug is my time out there at night, how deep was the water you were in? nice bait photos, i like it around 20' most of the time, usually takes till after 10pm before the action heats up, fun stuff,

Post Thanks / Like

If I recall correctly, water was 25’-30’ deep. I was there until about 12:30 or so. I tried the light at about 3’ and then moved it down to about 8’ to see if that helped. Not much help, other than the bait either went deeper or moved on.

Post Thanks / Like

Just me in my opinion. I would try to keep the bait closer to the top. My lights are just under the surface a few inches to light up the area I want to fish. The bait then comes closer to me and I don't have to search as hard to find the comfort zone. Eventually the crappie will be just beneath the bait circling the lights. I'm not quite lighting up 360 degree area under the boat.
    Likes turkeyfootnc LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the advice BigDawgg. I’ll definitely give it another shot at some point. As much bait as I saw, I was truly expecting to catch some crappie. I need to spend some time searching for brush at the right depth, but also need to upgrade my electronics to make it a bit easier as I have limited time to spend riding around in search. Advice welcomed. Thanks again.

Post Thanks / Like

The crappie will eat bait at the outside edge of the bait ball. They won't be in the middle eating. Fish the fringe.
    ITs not crappie and minnows, but its the same concept.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zA5mn423F9g
    HOI Crappie Club
    Where family and friends come to compete for a little more than bragging rights.

Quick, someone teach me how to fish so I can win this tournament!!!

Post Thanks / Like

if you build it, they will come, ive put down over 10 fish condos thru the years at falls, they do produce, have fun

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast