Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need advice about new Garmin Finder combo

Post Thanks / Like

Default Need advice about new Garmin Finder combo

I posted this on a bass forum and got one response, hope some folks here can help

I am new to Garmin, coming from Humminbird a long time ago.

Hope some of the Garmin users here can give me a hand. Here's my requirements, they are very simple as I am primarily a Crappie fisherman now.

1. 9" Unit with GPS and high resolution charts of fishing lakes & rivers (inland, no offshore at all needed).

2. Down Imaging, Side Imaging, 2d, CHIRP and the ability in the future to add Panoptix. Can't afford it at the moment.

3. The only transducer mount will be on the trolling motor, no transom mount needed.

Any suggestions, and reasoning behind them, from experienced Garmin guys would be appreciated.

Tom

Post Thanks / Like

Not sure exactly what your looking for but I have the Striker plus 7sv and it’s a great graph. I’m still new to it honestly so my “technical” input isn’t much but ease of use is pretty straightforward. Super clear images. Good luck

Post Thanks / Like

I think if you are wanting Panoptix to be in your future then you must go with at least an Echomap Chirp. To add Livescope you would have to get a PLUS model. If you never want to go above Panoptix you probably can find a held over model in stock somewhere for much less than I paid for mine a couple of years ago. Brian at BBG would be a very good place to start your search. Lots of folks here have used him, yet to hear a complaint. Mine is a 93sv chirp non-plus. I'm quite happy with it
    Likes skunked again LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Unfortunately, the Striker units do not include mapping/hi definition charts.

Glad you are happy with yours as I understand the Striker and the Echomap Plus units share everything except mapping.

Tom

Post Thanks / Like

Given the amount of money involved, I think I will go with the EchoMap 93sv Plus. The feature set appears to have everything I need at the moment and the ability to upgrade it later. I really like the mapping Garmin offers, including being able to upload user recorded maps to share on Garmin's site. My fishing buddy Don has Humminbird gear and had to pay a LOT just for the mapping software. Looks like it is included with the Garmin unless I am missing something.

Tom

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by T_om View Post
    Unfortunately, the Striker units do not include mapping/hi definition charts.

Glad you are happy with yours as I understand the Striker and the Echomap Plus units share everything except mapping.

Tom
    Yep only thing I don’t use it for is the maps! I have a lowrance unit for that lol

Post Thanks / Like

I have the latest model 93sv+ and it's an awesome unit.
    Has everything you need in the box to mount the ducer on the trolling motor or transom.
    The only thing it can't do is control a trolling motor but that's not Garmin's fault. Minnkota or Motorguide won't work with them to make that happen.
    May the Lord bless you and keep you.
    May the Lord show you his kindness and have mercy on you.
    May the Lord watch over you and give you peace.
    Numbers 6:24-26 (CSB)
    Likes strmwalker, skunked again LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

How are you finding the mapping capabilities? Also the side imaging quality? My friend's Humminbird is nice, but has problems in shallow water.

Tom

Post Thanks / Like

Mapping is Garmin's week spot. It's much better that it used to be.
    I have a Humminbird Helix 10si G1, Lowrance Elite 9ti, and the Garmin 93sv+
    From the mapping prespective;
    The lowrance is the best at mapping. With their social maps they offer free, detailed, lake maps for individual lakes. (I downloaded a map for the small park district lake I do most of my fishing on.)
    Add the capability to control a trolling motor to it and I really like my Lowrance unit.

The Garmin is following in Lowrance's footsteps by offering the same thing these days but they use the quick contour recordings instead of the actual sonar logs to build the maps and it doesn't look like they have as much data available. ( Garmin doesn't have a map of the same park district lake)

The Humminbird has nice mapping as well. if you willing to spend the extra money on PC software, you can make your own maps from sonar log recordings but you don't get the benefit of all the other fishermen's recording data. (Anybody want to buy a Hummingbird Helix 10g1?)

On image quality;
    I give the Garmin top spot on that one. Of the three units, I feel the Garmin unit gives me the most accurate and clear view of what's below the water line.
    2nd place would go to the Lowrance.
    I do have to say that both my Garmin and My Lowrance units are Chirp units. While My Humminbird is not.
    May the Lord bless you and keep you.
    May the Lord show you his kindness and have mercy on you.
    May the Lord watch over you and give you peace.
    Numbers 6:24-26 (CSB)

Post Thanks / Like

I have 73sv plus units. Love them . The two lakes I mainly fish are not mapped. I've mapped one (500acre). Working on the other.
    These are my first SI and mapping graphs. Watch as many videos as you can, do as much reading as you can, on any of them, as most all of it still applies - no matter the brand.
    Look on this forum, under fishing electronics / photography - side imaging, to find screenshots.
    Also, bassboatcentral.com - scroll down to Garmin side imaging. Their are two sub-forums, take some time and look at them.
    I'm not familiar with panoptix, you'd be best to get on garmins site or call them, to find out which units are capable.
    Livescope is the new hot item.
    - FYI- Garmin customer service is fantastic.-
    As for mapping -
    92 is basemap
    93 is freshwater
    94 is saltwater
    95 is Canada
    I think the non chirp and chirp units communicate with each other. Plus units only communicate with plus units.
    Their is a rumor that Garmin is coming out with a new trolling motor, and a comparable "humminbird mega imaging unit".
    If you want bigger than a 9" screen, step up to the 76xx series.
    As for SI - One lake I fish has a max Depth of 23', no problems with side imaging, in as little as 4'. I don't fish shallower than that.
    I can dig up some screenshots if you want, just remember, I'm still a rookie!
    Supposedly Garmin has been putting the gt-52 transducer back in the boxes, as oppose to the CV-52. Since they won their case vs lowrance. From what I've read, most people will never see the difference in them. The gt has a dedicated DI element, while the CV blends the SI and 2d image to make a down image. Similar to humminbird.
    Drinkin coffee, missin fish.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast