Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 74# Minn Kota Max. ?

Post Thanks / Like

Question 74# Minn Kota Max. ?

Ok all,I bought a used Minn kota 74 max. from a guy,he said it was a 12/24 motor. How do you know for sure if it is? At the time I bought it I didn't ? it until I seen the link on here on how to wire the diff. motors http://www.boatpartstore.com/trollwire.asp .It only has two wires coming out of the foot pedal that look to be 10 gage and has a rocker switch on it too (mom/off/oon).If it was a 12/24 should it have 3 wires? If it's not a 12/24 can I safely say it's a straight 24 volt not a 12 volt,did they even make a 12 volt 74# motor ? Can you also tell me what circuit breaker from the first 2 shown on this page here http://www.solarseller.com/dc_circui...o_80_volts.htm,how many and what amp of one I'm going to need for this project.I'm also adding a 3 bank onboard charger 10 per bank.Will I need to put a circuit breaker on this as well?

Thanks Lee
    :D Give a man a crappie you feed him for a day...teach a man to fish for crappie and get rid of him for the weekend!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Default 12/24v ??

I would wire it up to straight 24V. This would require two circuit breakers attached to the batteries as per the sketch at boatpartstore, and follow their installation instructions about the wire size from the batteries and the circuit breaker size.
    You will not need any breakers on the battery charger, just be sure when you connect the battery charger wires that the terminals are TIGHT on the battery.
    Good Luck

Post Thanks / Like

Lee, I've got a Maxxum 74 and it's 24V, not 12/24. Got 2 wires coming out of the foot control pad that run to a female plug with 4 holes. This plugs into a 4 prong male receptical. But, there is a 3rd, smaller, black wire coming out of the female plug that just runs about 6 inches and is covered with elec. tape and goes nowhere. I believe I have 50amp breakers, one for each battery.
    Also have a 3 bank onboard charger, 30 per bank and no breakers for the charger. Did you get the owner's manual with the motor?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by herb
    Lee, I've got a Maxxum 74 and it's 24V, not 12/24. Got 2 wires coming out of the foot control pad that run to a female plug with 4 holes. This plugs into a 4 prong male receptical. But, there is a 3rd, smaller, black wire coming out of the female plug that just runs about 6 inches and is covered with elec. tape and goes nowhere. I believe I have 50amp breakers, one for each battery.
    Also have a 3 bank onboard charger, 30 per bank and no breakers for the charger. Did you get the owner's manual with the motor?
    That's a big negative herb,you can send me yours if you think I'm going to need it buddy .What gage wire would you go with from batteries to motor 10,8 or 6 and what size wire to hook the 2 batt. together ? I'm looking at 20' top for wire length.

How you been herb,did you get out on the ice enough this year and did you hear if the crappies are going over there yet?
    :D Give a man a crappie you feed him for a day...teach a man to fish for crappie and get rid of him for the weekend!!!

Post Thanks / Like

It's 24 for sure. The mom. is for operating with the button on top. The con. switch is for making the motor stay on constant. I have run several 74's before and have not had a breaker on my batteries. It does not hurt to have one though. I am running a 36v 101lb now and it come with a breaker on the trolling motor and one on the motor batt.

Post Thanks / Like

Been ok Lee. You?
    Won't be able to check on the wire size till I get home tonight. Someone else will likely help you on that before I get back. Never needed the breakers but feels better just to know they are there. I can send you my manual and you can make a copy if you like. pm me your mailing addy and I'll ship it.
    Oh, and I can never get enough ice time!

Post Thanks / Like

12/24 have 3 wires-pos,neg,24 volt. I was going to change out bottom unit from a 55 lb. to a 70 lb.[both 12/24]. Was told by Motorguide I couldnt because it would burn out the circuts. You might want to check before you go straight 24.
    Good Fishin To Ya!! Dennis Dale Hollow Crappie www.dalehollowcrappie.4t.com

Post Thanks / Like

Default Formula to calculate current

Thia is a formula that I copied from a Bill Dance show about how much current a trolling motor will use.

voltage-----------Amps per Lb of Thrust
    12 volt--------------1.2
    24 Volt--------------.9
    36 Volt-------------.55

example:
    12 volt at 30 lb thrust at 1/4 speed is :
    30 x 1.2 = 36 amp
    36 amp x .25% = 9 amp

If this is true then your 74 lb thrust @ 24 volts at full draw will be:
    74 x .9 = 66.6 amps.
    This will require a wire size of # 4

I realize that no one always runs the motor at full speed very long but I would size the wire for this anyway.

This formula can also be used to calculate the size battery (capacity) you will need for a days fishing.

Post Thanks / Like

That is a 24 volt motor like the other guys said , and a good one. I have had several and currently have one now. Use the heaviest gauge wire you can run either 6 or 8 if possible and nothing smaller than 10 ga. I have a breaker between my two batteries.

Post Thanks / Like

Hey lebruce, Call Minn Kota techincal help. They are real good helping
    you solve problems.

The number to call is 1-800-227-6433.
    Call between 8 am & 5 pm.
    Billy Deuce

Fried Crappie.... "The real thing".

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast