PDA

View Full Version : Rigging a Pontoon

ShowmeCrappie
07-01-2018, 08:40 PM
Well after some serious thoughts and deliberation I traded my XP200 off for a tritoon!!
I hope I don't regret the move, the Xpress has served me well but wanted something I could get "multi" use out of.
The tritoon is a fish/cruise model so I have some rigging to do on it, hoping to see some ideas of how some of you have your rod holders mounted!!
I currently use Hiteks and was planning on mounting them on to the tritoon. Any do's/dont's when it comes to mounting transducers etc etc etc.

deltarat
07-01-2018, 09:35 PM
I built risers for my rod holders to bring them up to the top of my rails. I did not want to clamp them on the rails and scratch up the paint. Mine too is a multi purpose rig. I have 8 rod holders on the front and 4 on each side for what ever type of fishing I want to do. I have a sun deck on the back, so I am limited to fishing from the front.

CliffordN
07-02-2018, 05:43 AM
Yo DeltaBull, you are being paged....

ShowmeCrappie
07-03-2018, 08:38 PM
Anyone else? Pics maybe?

deltabull
07-04-2018, 09:00 AM
I bought an old sun tracker24' three years ago and rebuilt it mainly for fishing. I put the console in the center to give walk-around space to all sides. I did not put any pontoon seating on my boat but elected to just use moveable chairs. The tracker has a 4 ft deck in front of the main fencing with a split short fence in the front. I mounted a powerdrive v2 up front and have 2 4 rod hi Tek pole holders mounted up there for spider rigging. Just enough room for 2 chairs there and is comfortable to fish.
On the sides I mounted 9 spiderlok rail mount rod holders. Three on each side and three across the back. I can use these for pulling cranks or titelining for catfish.
I have my main transducer mounted on the back of one of the pontoons and when spider rigging I mount a chirp 7 up front with transducer on trolling motor.
My pontoon has a hard top so I mounted rod holders on the top support posts to hold up to 8 long rods while transporting.
If I could change anything about my boat I would have gotten a stronger trolling motor ( I'm using a 45 lb. 12v ipilot) but it does fine when it's not too windy. Other than that I wouldn't change a thing.

SpeckledSlab
07-04-2018, 10:18 AM
I've got an older 24' Lowe pontoon needing re-decked and an older 70 h.p. Johnson to push it, if I run out of projects. it will be set up to fish & shrimp. Mine has the hard-top like deltabull's, I like the way he mounted the rod racks to it. The center console is an idea I've pondered also. I too have the 45 lb Minn Kota for it, but I hope to locate a deal on a Minn Kota Riptide when the time comes. Good thread, I feel for ShowmeCrappie giving up the Xpress as they are fine boats.

Ardent_Angler
07-04-2018, 12:14 PM
What model pontoon did you get? Iím thinking of trading my Phoenix bass boat in for a Pontoon because of my young kids. Hard to get them all on a bass boat. Iím curious if anyone e spider rigs from a pontoon boat?

Sent from my iPhone using Crappie.com

cwright
07-04-2018, 06:23 PM
I have a Bennington fish and cruise that I fish from. I had Gene that makes the spyderloks make me a pair of custom mounts. They bolt on the rail then I mount the crossbar from the spyderloks on them. I unbolt one hand screw and can take the entire rod holder set off. I am fishing in the morning and will get pics. Also the spyderloks are without a doubt the best holders I have ever used.

cwright
07-04-2018, 06:26 PM
Here is a pick from Saturday and you can see the mounts and rod holders.

ShowmeCrappie
07-04-2018, 08:28 PM
Thanks for the replies! It will be a fun journey rigging it and hopefully will serve it's purpose well.

What model pontoon did you get? I’m thinking of trading my Phoenix bass boat in for a Pontoon because of my young kids. Hard to get them all on a bass boat. I’m curious if anyone e spider rigs from a pontoon boat?

Sent from my iPhone using Crappie.com

I bought a Trifecta 23 FC-SS with the 2.75 performance package, 200 hp yammy. It has two seats up front along with two benches up front but no seats in the rear. I have looked and looked and all the rigs with 4 point fishing seats has so much open floor space it seemed a waste to me. I looked long and hard at Sunchaser models but a couple of my neighbors at the lake own them and have had quite a bit of trouble out of them but they do have the better layout for fishing on the 2018 models.
To answer your question on spider rigging there are 3 guys there that spider rig from theirs which is what prompted me to go that route!

ShowmeCrappie
07-04-2018, 08:32 PM
I have a Bennington fish and cruise that I fish from. I had Gene that makes the spyderloks make me a pair of custom mounts. They bolt on the rail then I mount the crossbar from the spyderloks on them. I unbolt one hand screw and can take the entire rod holder set off. I am fishing in the morning and will get pics. Also the spyderloks are without a doubt the best holders I have ever used.
Thanks for the pic.
I had thought about Gene and figure I will be contacting him before its over!! Only drawback to mine is the fencing comes all the way to the top of the railing. Evidently they don't do open top railing anymore :(

Seekbigger
07-04-2018, 09:44 PM
I have a 24 foot pontoon and spider rig is about all I do

Sent from my VS988 using Crappie.com Fishing mobile app (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=87936)

T_om
07-05-2018, 12:29 AM
You guys put my little pontoon to shame, but here it is.

It is a PlayBuoy 1419 Eagle. I wanted a 16 footer but this one came up at a price I could not turn down. It has a brand new 20hp Suzuki 4-stroke, and a brand new trailer. i paid for the motor and the trailer and the boat was tossed in for free.

The deck was still perfectly sound (which amazed me), but the seats had pretty much seen better days sitting out in the weather. And even worse, the previous owner had mounted two pedestal seats in front of the forward fence thinking people could fish from up there. Nope, nope, nope. Launched the thing, got two adults up front, and had about 4 inches of freeboard. Even a jet ski wake would have washed right over the bow.

Out they came. I pulled everything except the console (it will go next year), and replaced the seats with Coleman Xtreme marine coolers. Two 120 qt. and two 70 qt. Coleman, unlike Igloo, still uses stainless steel hinges instead of the plastic Igloo uses. I didn't even consider Yeti since they joined the gun control movement. Cushions on top of the coolers will serve for seating and dry storage in the coolers should be no problem. A Minn-Kota PowerDrive 45 pound trolling motor with remote foot control in up front.

I have two four-rod Millennium Spyder LOK rod holders ready to mount tomorrow. And a word here about them: They are really exceptional quality. If you are looking for rod holders i don't think you can beat them.

Tom

Super D
07-05-2018, 02:54 PM
Here is a pick from Saturday and you can see the mounts and rod holders.

Where did you get the mounts to mount the spyderlocs to the pontoon bar?

punchy
07-09-2018, 11:16 AM
also interested in some ideas

Cane Pole
07-09-2018, 01:14 PM
Call the Budweiser truck!

Cane Pole
07-09-2018, 01:18 PM
You need to add joystick steering since U doing away with the console. Roll UR own steering. Not hard to do. OTC parts available.

ShowmeCrappie
07-09-2018, 07:33 PM
You need to add joystick steering since U doing away with the console. Roll UR own steering. Not hard to do. OTC parts available.

I cruised by your place a couple times over the weekend, seen the Pondtoon up on the rack!! They sure did build a couple nice boat docks between you and me. I need to stop in and visit some time.

Cane Pole
07-09-2018, 07:39 PM
I was there. Stop by anytime.

Sent from my iPhone using Crappie.com Fishing mobile app (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=87936)

Cane Pole
07-09-2018, 07:44 PM
Those are nice docks.

Sent from my iPhone using Crappie.com Fishing mobile app (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=87936)

Lloakley930
07-09-2018, 08:22 PM
I bought single spyderloks, drilled the hole out bigger, attach the top section off a 4 holder t bar and hold the bottom with a part I bought from Loweís. When I donít want my t bars in the back I just make the base back to a single pole holder on each side.

ShowmeCrappie
07-09-2018, 08:30 PM
I bought single spyderloks, drilled the hole out bigger, attach the top section off a 4 holder t bar and hold the bottom with a part I bought from Lowe’s. When I don’t want my t bars in the back I just make the base back to a single pole holder on each side.

I would love to see some pics of your holders when you have time!

Lloakley930
07-09-2018, 08:42 PM
Itís dark out but here goes.

Cane Pole
07-09-2018, 08:44 PM
Gene aka EZpole dude is a nice feller. He installed the spiderlocks on my Pondtoon at one of the Ms camps. He also installed some guide on posts on my trailer. Ima too old to cut the mustard.

Cane Pole
07-09-2018, 08:47 PM
ok dokie on the mounts.:ThumbsUp

Seekbigger
07-10-2018, 08:01 AM
I built my old pontoon from the deck up, 24 foot party barge, she ain't much to look at but does a fine job spider rigging off of. I also built a center console, 8 rod holders in the front on 3/4 inch pipe mounts to be able to adjust the angle, 24 volt 80lb thrust minnkota terrova with ipilot, 85 hp Johnson and use at least once a week. Also added some homemade pvc rod holders on the side for when I have company. Most important I built my wife a pop up potty on the back, she says its the best attachment yet lol.309912309913309914309915309917

Sent from my VS988 using Crappie.com Fishing mobile app (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=87936)

Seekbigger
07-10-2018, 08:02 AM
Also built these rod holders from some horse shoes I had left over309918

cwright
07-10-2018, 09:02 AM
Gene made the mounts for me to mount the spyderloks on mine as well. Great guy to work with.

Herewego
07-10-2018, 12:16 PM
I called David at Driftmaster rod holders and told him what l wanted to do ans needed and he delivered.
If he doesn't have
what you need on hand he can make it.
I already had rod holders l bought years ago here on c.c.309941309942309943309944

Sent from my SM-G935V using Crappie.com Fishing mobile app (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=87936)

ShowmeCrappie
07-10-2018, 02:27 PM
It’s dark out but here goes.

Thank u sir!! That is similar to what I am wanting but the fencing on my boat comes all the way to the top so I have some figuring out to do on that aspect.

callshy
07-10-2018, 03:54 PM
Thank u sir!! That is similar to what I am wanting but the fencing on my boat comes all the way to the top so I have some figuring out to do on that aspect.

Sent you a photo of a riser for your rod holders that will work on the rail where the sheet metal comes all the way up on the outside.

ShowmeCrappie
07-10-2018, 05:57 PM
Sent you a photo of a riser for your rod holders that will work on the rail where the sheet metal comes all the way up on the outside.

Thanks Scott, I just seen the email!!
It will be a couple weeks before I can get you some pics as the boat is at the lake and work is getting in the way!! lol
In the pic is that a 6" riser ? The fencing is actually on the inside with all the 1 1/4" tubing/railing being on the outside but I think that will still work for me!!

callshy
07-10-2018, 09:28 PM
Typically the tube is about 4" tall. It will work whether the sheet metal is outside or inside.