HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What are the Best Post Spawn baits?...GO!

Post Thanks / Like

Default What are the Best Post Spawn baits?...GO!

In this video I list the best baits that worked for me, but I want to know if there's any baits I should try (or will try next year). Also for those of you down south, please take the heat wave back, us northern boys aren't used to 100+ temps....

Likes Skippa Chippa, armyman, S10CHEVY LIKED above post

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Two of my best producers for casting to "post spawn" Crappie are the same two for spawning Crappie :

1/16oz marabou Roadrunner (solid Pink) ... to cover the first 6-8ft of open water around cover.
    1/16oz weedless ballhead jig/#2 Aberdeen hook/plastics (normally either a blue/char Crappie Thunder Tube, or a Slabanator Hot Rod in purple/char. .... to cover the 8-15ft of the water column and down in the cover).

On into the Summer ... I'm usually Pushing jigs & cranks. I haven't really done cranks enough to have a favorite, yet. And as far as the jigs go ... I generally use different styles on each of the 3-4 rods I have out, then let the fish tell me what they want. I am, however, beginning to favor the Slabanator Booty Shaker on a open hook jighead (following behind a 1/2oz to 1.5oz weight).

Slabanator Hot Rod is a "carrot" shaped soft plastic bait. Comes in three sizes : Mega Rod 3" - Hot Rod 2.5" - Mini Rod 1.75"
    Slabanator Booty Shaker is a "boot tail" shaped soft plastic bait. Comes in one size - 2"
    (they & the other Slabanator baits can be seen at : https://www.crappie.com/crappie/-mem...ie-jigs-2.html )
    Thanks floppingcrappie thanked you for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the video.
    I've found that pretty much everything that works for pre-spawn or during the spawn works all year round such as the spike tail grub you fished with. Today I caught 64 fish - four species: crappie, bass, sunfish and perch, water temp 84. Soft plastics did the trick rigged on 1/24 oz, 1/32 oz and 1/16 oz jigs. Haven't used crankbaits or beetle spins for years. May it's time to try a few.
    Likes floppingcrappie LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Excellent video. I am not a fan of the beetle type spins mainly because I get fouled up a lot with the line. Instead I rely on the Road Runner type lures, with marabou being a top producers, but you can also get plain horse heads spins and put on a paddle tailed type swimbait as well.

BGBS 2" straight tails are my second "best" lure that I just will not leave home without. And within this realm of soft plastic baits, I have to mention the CB Slider Grubs. They run neck n' neck with the straight tails and at times take the lead.

Beyond those two, I've only had limited success with side pulling crankbaits. I don't know why? Maybe it's because with a jig I can more precisely adjust my depth control by varying the head size. Cranks have their depth more or less built in, so unless you long line, depths vary little. I'm still experimenting though. Every trip finds one being wet at one point or another.

I try various baits throughout the day as well, so no other one can really take the 4th. seat of honor. I just love changing colors of plastics as well as styles. This is why I use a tiny snap hook on the business end of my line, which allows me to switch baits frequently without re-tying. Crappie are definitely finicky at times and you have to change with their mood swings.
    "A voyage in search of knowledge need never abandon the spirit of adventure."

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for sharing. I dono the answer to that question cause I ain't catching squat down here in FL this time of the year.
    Owner
    "Wear your PFD" "No texting n driving" slab
    Crappie.com members are the best

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Slab View Post
    Thanks for sharing. I dono the answer to that question cause I ain't catching squat down here in FL this time of the year.
    now SLAB !!! you're supposed to say anything with SLAB SAUCE on it
    smiles are contagious, spread them around
    Proud Member of the ZIPPER Club
    & Team Geezer
    Likes floppingcrappie, Cropduster1968 LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Spoonminnow View Post
    Thanks for the video.
    I've found that pretty much everything that works for pre-spawn or during the spawn works all year round such as the spike tail grub you fished with. Today I caught 64 fish - four species: crappie, bass, sunfish and perch, water temp 84. Soft plastics did the trick rigged on 1/24 oz, 1/32 oz and 1/16 oz jigs. Haven't used crankbaits or beetle spins for years. May it's time to try a few.
    Water temps are starting to close in on 80 degrees up here and crappie are moving deep. I think I'll have to start using some grub tails and tubes like you said for these summer crappie.

"G" is offline Super Duper Moderator - 2012 Crappie.Com Man of the year & 2018 Crappie.com Decade of Exceptional Service Awards * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

Two and a half inch tubes with Slab Sauce.....only use two colors... purple and chartreuse and orange and chartreuse.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Crappie.com Fishing mobile app
    I have spent most my life fishing........the rest I wasted.
    PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM GEEZER
    PICO Lures Field Rep

"G" is offline Super Duper Moderator - 2012 Crappie.Com Man of the year & 2018 Crappie.com Decade of Exceptional Service Awards * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

Actually
    "G" Sauce

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Crappie.com Fishing mobile app
    I have spent most my life fishing........the rest I wasted.
    PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM GEEZER
    PICO Lures Field Rep

Post Thanks / Like

Here is a post of last weeks fishing trip I posted. I was using a Southern pro crawdad curly tail grub and 1/32 head vertical casting around bamboo.

I got a chance to go early the other morning. Weather temp. was hot when I started fishing this morning. The water temp was 88° so I figured they would be in deeper water on the small lake I fish. I had placed some bamboo crappie condos in 19' water around the first of the year just for the summer heat. I was using a Southern Pro crawdad colored curly tail grub. Got hot quick so with these 7 crappie being a really good mess for the wife and I, I called it quits early went home and had some for dinner/that's lunch for city folks. The vertical casting was the key to catching these crappie this morning. I sure thank CrappiePappy for turning me on to this Tec nick of fishing sure saved me from coming home empty handed quit a times so far. Vertical casting try it you'll like it.

Be safe and good luck fishing
    Likes "G", pescador LIKED above post

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast