HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Jig under slip float?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Jig under slip float?

How many of you use a jig under a slip float?

1. If you do, what’s the smallest jig weight that will work as in pulling through the float.

2. Can you see a bite as it’s falling?
    Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    G3PO

Post Thanks / Like

I'm new to crappie fishing this year but I've used a jig under a float a lot. I've caught lots of crappie this way.. especially when using crappie nibbles. They usually pull the cork under for me. I try to use the smallest cork I can to float the bait I'm using.
    Likes "G", brettw, kycreek LIKED above post
    Thanks Smoltz thanked you for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Forget the float and just cast the jig.
    Likes brettw, Countryboy N.C., Crestliner08 LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Default Jig under slip float?

Quote Originally Posted by deathb4disco View Post
    Forget the float and just cast the jig.
    Of course the float will hold a jig exactly at the top of a brush pile and allow it to be moved slowly. Seems like an ok idea

G3PO
    Likes SpeckledSlab LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Floats work especially if the jighead is light and the bait's action subtle. I use soft plastics under a float and like to see it dive after two dips.
    Likes brettw LIKED above post

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by brettw View Post
    How many of you use a jig under a slip float?

1. If you do, what’s the smallest jig weight that will work as in pulling through the float.

2. Can you see a bite as it’s falling?
    Thanks
    Answer to your initial question : I do not. And for that matter, I rarely (if ever) use a jig under "any type" of float. Nonetheless, here's my take on the other two questions.

The size of line used and the size of the float used will determine whether or not the tiny jigs will pull the line thru to the stopper. The distance of the cast can also be a factor, since the drag (resistance) of the line thru the water has to be overcome by the weight of the jig. That "can" be overcome by adding a BB size sinker above the jig.

Seeing a bite on a slow falling jig (thru the slipfloat) is possible. It would likely come as a sped up movement of the line thru the slipfloat, or possibly even a stoppage of the line before the stopper reaches the float.
    Thanks brettw thanked you for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by brettw View Post
    Of course the float will hold a jig exactly at the top of a brush pile and allow it to be moved slowly. Seems like an OK idea.
    I know many people like a jig under a float. My main issue with it is that you lose the direct connection to the jig. The jig hangs straight down from the float, and the line from rod to float is at an angle to that line. (The farther you cast, the closer that angle gets to 90 degrees). I don't want an angle between me and the fish. It creates slack line and makes hooking more difficult.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by deathb4disco View Post
    I know many people like a jig under a float. My main issue with it is that you lose the direct connection to the jig. The jig hangs straight down from the float, and the line from rod to float is at an angle to that line. (The farther you cast, the closer that angle gets to 90 degrees). I don't want an angle between me and the fish. It creates slack line and makes hooking more difficult.
    While I agree and you make a valid point, there have been a lot of crappie and bluegill caught under a cork.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Stainless View Post
    While I agree and you make a valid point, there have been a lot of crappie and bluegill caught under a cork.
    I love floats and use 'em all the time -- but not with the jig.
    Likes Stainless LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

I use a slip float a good bit with jigs and for bream. The key to it for me is having the right size float for the weight jig head or split shot. This varies with the depth you fish. Most of my fishing with float is shallow. So my bait is less than 4 foot under the cork, most of the time 18"- 2'. The cork barely floats above the surface when the line is all the way down. If a bite happens before the jig reaches bottom the cork will not stand up(cigar style) or will not be barely above water(floating too high). I dont know the size I use most, but they are small maybe 1.5" long and 1/2" around. Some that I like are the tear drop style, I dont think the fish even feel it when they take it under. If I fish deeper I may not go up in jig size but only add a splitshot 6-10" above it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk
    Likes brettw LIKED above post

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast