HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Jigs versus Minnows Discussion Again (Sorry)

Post Thanks / Like

Default Jigs versus Minnows Discussion Again (Sorry)

I know that the minnow versus jigs discussion has been here many times. Sorry but I want to talk about it again. And yes, I know there are a lot of opinions on the subject and would like to hear them again.

I spider rig and vertical single pole fish for crappie in brush piles and stake beds a lot on Kentucky Lake (2-3 days a week) around the Big Sandy area. I have got to the point that I am always using minnows. I know I can catch them on minnows almost anytime I go. However, I also own tons of jig heads and jig bodies in all colors and variations. I have just lost my confidence in jig fishing over the last couple of years. I think it has to do a lot with the wind always blowing on Ky Lk and finicky fish that get heavy pressure. At least that is my excuse. Plus my bass fishing background causes me to want to move the jig more than it should be moved and I don't get many bites. How do you guys jig fish in a lake like Kentucky Lake? Do you just hold the rod perfectly still at the brush pile and how do you have confidence that you have the right color, etc? Also, how do you do that when the wind is always blowing you around and waves bouncing you?

I have tried going out with just jigs so I can't use minnows. Between the wind, wondering which color and size to use out of thousands I have, I struggle and wish I had minnows. I usually just get bored quickly and abandon it and start bass fishing until I can go get some minnows. LOL.

Can someone explain to me in easy to understand terms on how you catch crappie with a jig? I am tired of having to find and buy minnows every trip and then keep them alive.
    Crappie Time
    Thanks scrat thanked you for this post

Post Thanks / Like

I don't understand your comment about your bass fishing background making you want to move the jig more than it should be moved. Any jig moved slowly is deadly. There was a recent article in the Crappie Online mag that featured bass pros who also crappe fished. None of them trolled. All cast jigs on light spinning tackle and caught loads of fish. They thought their bass backgrounds helped them.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Jigs versus Minnows Discussion Again (Sorry)

Have u tried this style
    Bobby garland baby Shad?

Try monkeys milk, and something chartreuse,

Long thin tail works pretty well
    But minnows are always better I think.

Try them vs minnows side by side
    If u gets some on them, you’ll gain confidence

No easy answers from me

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    G3PO

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Shad View Post
    Can someone explain to me in easy to understand terms on how you catch crappie with a jig? I am tired of having to find and buy minnows every trip and then keep them alive.
    Think of it as:

1) Slow rolling a spinnerbait but with a lighter bait or

2) Fishing a Texas-rigged plastic worm but up in the water column
    Likes 1187mg LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Shad View Post
    I am tired of having to find and buy minnows every trip and then keep them alive.
    That and my supreme confidence in the jig is why I haven't bought a minnow in forty years.

Post Thanks / Like

Use scent. Slabsauce, Crappie Nibbles, both if you prefer. Fishing the same lake most of the time, as I do, there is usually a handful of colors that most always work. I’ve found that it usually doesn’t change from trip to trip. I catch a lot of fish as the jig is falling. The scent product must make em hold on, cuz I don’t feel a bite. Either the line jumps, or remains slack when it should not be on bottom. I use sickle hooks, #2, on all my jigheads. I also like to pitch it and let it pendulum back. Also, try dropping to the bottom and slowly reel up, pause occasionally, and if this hasn’t worked, give it a slight lift and drop.
    I can do all things through Christ, who strengthens me.
    Likes "G", Stainless, GreenLine, scrat LIKED above post
    Thanks Slab thanked you for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by deathb4disco View Post
    That and my supreme confidence in the jig is why I haven't bought a minnow in forty years.
    Oh, and Confidence is critical!
    I can do all things through Christ, who strengthens me.

"G" is offline Super Duper Moderator - 2012 Crappie.Com Man of the year & 2018 Crappie.com Decade of Exceptional Service Awards * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

Order some Slab Sauce from the C.C store and get your jigs out and you will catch fish.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Crappie.com Fishing mobile app
    I have spent most my life fishing........the rest I wasted.
    PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM GEEZER
    PICO Lures Field Rep
    Likes Crestliner08, Cardsfan55 LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

I will tell you what "G" just said. Order some Slab Sauce. Garlic has been deadly for me.

You will see a pretty good write up on it on the main page come July 2nd. This stuff works and might be just what you need to build your confidence in catching fish on soft plastics, hair jigs, or other combinations.

I've been utilizing it for over a month now. I won't give away the write up as it relates to crappie fishing (Scented minnows verses unscented) but I can tell you that, on days, the use of garlic has increased catch rates over non scented baits when it comes to walleye. The article I am refering to shows you that, just because it is a live bait, doesn't mean they want it!
    I have OCD "Obsessive Crappie Disorder"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by wicklundrh View Post
    I will tell you what "G" just said. Order some Slab Sauce. Garlic has been deadly for me.

You will see a pretty good write up on it on the main page come July 2nd. This stuff works and might be just what you need to build your confidence in catching fish on soft plastics, hair jigs, or other combinations.

I've been utilizing it for over a month now. I won't give away the write up as it relates to crappie fishing (Scented minnows verses unscented) but I can tell you that, on days, the use of garlic has increased catch rates over non scented baits when it comes to walleye. The article I am refering to shows you that, just because it is a live bait, doesn't mean they want it!
    That s true
    Few weeks ago I was cleaning up on a brush pile with minnows and slip float.
    Then it just stopped.
    Switched to jigs, got a few more

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    G3PO

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast