HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: cane poles?

Post Thanks / Like

Default cane poles?

Fellas, I got a hankering to cut some cane poles for spider rig. Those of you in the past did you varnish it before they dried out. Did you sand them first or what? Thx.

"G" is offline Super Duper Moderator - 2012 Crappie.Com Man of the year & 2018 Crappie.com Decade of Exceptional Service Awards * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

I tied a brick to the small end and hung it it in a tree by the big end until it dried....the brick for weight keeps it straight. After drying I brushed on a coat of spar varnish.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Crappie.com Fishing mobile app
    I have spent most my life fishing........the rest I wasted.
    PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM GEEZER
    PICO Lures Field Rep
    Likes SpeckledSlab, Cane Pole, Redge, scrat LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Many a mess of fish found it's way to the frying pan, by way of the cane pole. Growing up here in Florida, there used to be people who would take large Calcutta Cane Poles attach 40lb mono secured at numerous joints several feet back down the pole and leaving about 3ft leader off the end. I use to take a strip of pork rind and rig 2 or 3 stout, large hooks in connected, in series, by the same mono to make the lure. Some people also used Jitter Bug lures with success (one friend landed an 11lb'er). But they would go out at night and rip the bait around grass lines for largemouth bass. Back then it was known as "jigger fishing" and it produced some mighty large fish. Our milkman was one of the best I knew. Didn't mean to take the thread down a dried up creek bed on you, just thinkin' of cane pole fishin' knocked the dust off of some fond memories. lol
    Pass the "Sportsman Baton" on before you're gone, promote values for others to hunt and fish upon.
    Likes stormcloud, funbun, Redge LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Man, that story is exactly along the lines I've been thinking. I'm more of a catfisherman than anything. I use salted bluegill fillet all the time. Since I jug fish mostly I figures I could use the same rig on a cane pole and run 10 or 12 cane poles off the boat.
    Likes SpeckledSlab LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SpeckledSlab View Post
    Back then it was known as "jigger fishing" and it produced some mighty large fish.
    My dad told me about this when I was a kid. He said they used to do it along the banks/riprap of guntersville at night. But, they used a Lazy Ike lure and a fiberglass pole. I remember renting a video (VHS) about "jigger pole" fishing when I was a kid.

Lazy Ike. I had one just like this when I was a kid that my dad gave me.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by eminart View Post
    My dad told me about this when I was a kid. He said they used to do it along the banks/riprap of guntersville at night. But, they used a Lazy Ike lure and a fiberglass pole. I remember renting a video (VHS) about "jigger pole" fishing when I was a kid.
    It's mostly a southern thing. My dad got his biggest bass (8#) doing it. There's not much written about, even though it's really effective. Haven't seen an article in over twenty years, but there might be some Youtube videos on it.
    Likes "G", SpeckledSlab LIKED above post

Eagle 1 is offline Crappie.com Legend and Mississippi Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like

We cut cane and like "G ", we hung them in the hallway of an old barn with a brick tied to em to make them straight . A few got sanded but it was rare .If you really wanted to show out you could varnish them . We usually hung them 25 or so at a time so breaking one was no big thing .That old Dacron (black 100 lb. test or close )tied a loop for a cork stop . was some tough stuff . I laugh when the topic of fish seeing line comes about . Never seemed to bother the fish in the tombigbee river sloughs . Still have my grandpa quills . Have not been to the old barn in years but might be one still hanging . they were usually 8-12 ft. lol

Post Thanks / Like

This vid shows it being done in Alabama with a shorter leader than I recall, but whichever works is fine with me. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O_u4it32ASI
    Pass the "Sportsman Baton" on before you're gone, promote values for others to hunt and fish upon.

Post Thanks / Like

Genuine Calcutta Bamboo: Is a very strong species. The most peculiar aspect of the plant is the solid culm(stem) as there is no hollow part in it. Sometimes the lower parts of the culms are solid. This is the only Bamboo timber that when cured, can be nailed without cracking. In character and usefullness it is best, no comparison with any other Bamboo, specially ideal for fishing and fencing. It is stiffer and stronger than aluminium, fiberglass and stainless steel of it's size. It will not bend or kink like metal, there is no corrosion, and more durable than other types of wood.Take stout Calcutta Poles with about 3 ft of heavy line on it and pull jigs round grass and heavy lilypads for Bass. It's also used in commercial tuna fishing and has been used for years for saltwater rods. http://www.gameandfishmag.com/fishing/fishing_bass-fishing_ra_0309_06/
    Thanks funbun thanked you for this post

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Around here I've heard it done two different ways :

1) big gob of nightcrawlers on a treble hook, under a big cork bobber, about 3ft of heavy line off a heavy cane pole

2) figure eighting a buzz bait or Jitterbug on about 3ft of heavy line off a heavy cane pole

(by "heavy" cane pole, I mean a "stiff & thick ended" cane pole)
    Thanks funbun thanked you for this post

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast