Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: The rich get richer

Post Thanks / Like

Default The rich get richer

I read the post on the Iowa State board about the new no culling law imposed in the state, EXCEPT for licensed Bass tournaments.
    At first glance is seems to be a case of the squeaking wheel getting the grease and the bass boys have done some good squeaking by lobbying.
    Perhaps a good reason is behind this new law. Anyone in Iowa know of the scientific data used to justify implementing this? Is the mortality rate of released fish too high? Does it keep desease from spreading? I would appreciate any feed back from those that know as I too would like to help promote a healthy fishery in my neck of the woods.
    I can't leave now; They fixen to turn on.

Post Thanks / Like

The only reason I could see them making a law like that would be if the mortality rate of released fish were high. Not sure what scientific proof they have to justify any increased mortality but gut instint tells me that stressing out the fish or pulling them out of deep water too fast is not really good for the fish.

I have conducted some limited experiments on crappie that I caugth in deep water and some of them lived and some of them died on me.

One thing that did seem to help is putting the caught fish in colder water. I rigged up a system where I could add a pipe to the intake of my livewells water supply sytem and bring the water from the 5 ft below the surface into my livewell instead of the water at the surface. There is about a 5 deg temp difference between the two levels and the colder water seemed help keep the fish better. I could add a ten ft long pvc pipe and bring water from 10ft below the surface if I want too. I am able to stick a 90 deg pvc elbow in my intake hole in the back of my boat's transom and then two shore pieces of clear vinyl tubing I can connect a 1/2" diameter pvc pipe to the intake and have it other end 5 to 10ft down below the water's surface. That really seems to help keep the fish better.

Lots of fish that are caught may or may not die later. It's hard to tell unless we could tag and monitor them over a weeks period of time. Sometimes just touching their skin can remove the slime coating that protects them from fungus or other disease and they may succomb to a disease a few days or weeks later. I have not read where anyone had really studied this well. It may have been done but I just am not aware of the study yet.

Been keeping several live crappie in an aquarium for more than a year now 15 months now and had a few die from fungus disease and the ohters are still doing good.

Quote Originally Posted by Deacon
    I read the post on the Iowa State board about the new no culling law imposed in the state, EXCEPT for licensed Bass tournaments.
    At first glance is seems to be a case of the squeaking wheel getting the grease and the bass boys have done some good squeaking by lobbying.
    Perhaps a good reason is behind this new law. Anyone in Iowa know of the scientific data used to justify implementing this? Is the mortality rate of released fish too high? Does it keep desease from spreading? I would appreciate any feed back from those that know as I too would like to help promote a healthy fishery in my neck of the woods.
    Regards,

Moose1am

Post Thanks / Like

Default What I have read, and been told so far...

There are some very good, and legitimate reasons behind the law, but they mainly are do to other species of fish; not Crappie, or Bluegill. Walleye would probably be the biggest contributor to this new law being passed. Some others are Musky, and Trout since they are DNR stocked, and quite sensitive to handling.

Here on the Mississippi River, Fall and Winter patterns keep our 'eyes stacked up behind our lock & dam areas. It's as easy as shooting fish in a barrel to catch them during these periods. A real problem has resulted from this practice, and has depleted our waters considerabley of spawn worthy 'eyes. A very high percentage of these legal, and/or lesser fish are needlessly dying when released for larger or legal sized fish because of an effect reffered to as "the Bends". This is caused from bringing them to the surface too quickly from deep water. Since Walleye are cold water spawners, their numbers are dropping at a frightening rate here. A solid reason for this law to be upheld. However, I feel that our new "no fishing zones" behind certain dams, and our new slot size limits are quickly helping to restore this great species to our waters. The "no cull" for this species would just be a suportive bonus after the fact.

Another reason this law was passed, is to curb the biological introduction of foreign plants and species into otherwise secluded/protected eccosystems. This happens when people do not clean off their trailers and/or boat hulls, rinse out their live wells, or when fish or bait are released into waters they did not originate from. In my opinion, this law is not an effective, nor a viable solution to this epidemic. In order to stop the spreading of things like Zebra mussels, Lamprey, Jumping Carp, Ick, etc.; it will require total public user education, awareness, and follow through on the proper methods to curb the spreading of environmental evils. Not an easy task to implement, nor police.

All in all, I am a conservationist, and Pro-DNR involvement. I just don't advocate the steriotyping of all fish species into one catagory for regulating.

Full baskets to all, and heres hoping to we can let some of the littler guys go!

<,"}/>{ Rippa
    Last edited by Tim The Lippa Rippa Mon; 01-27-2005 at 09:47 PM.
    Just one more cast, I promise!
    Common sense isn't all that common these days.
    Take the Time & Take the Kids

Post Thanks / Like

Nicely put Tim! My not being familiar with the walleye or real deep water fishing I had not considered the two in my trying to rationalize why the law was passed.
    It makes since. And, I do agree with the last comment you made regarding across the board catagorizing
    Thanks for taking the time to answer. Your reply has opened my mind to a whole new way of looking at the law.
    I can't leave now; They fixen to turn on.