PDA

View Full Version : Tried out the Arkie Shad Crankbait today

floppingcrappie
06-22-2018, 11:03 PM
I picked up the smallest crankbait Arkie makes at Walmart today and targeted some post-spawn crappie.

https://youtu.be/lnL9IFBJC8Y

Rees Guide
06-22-2018, 11:22 PM
Its a great bait, very nice

skeetbum
06-23-2018, 04:18 AM
I've used em before with good results. Lots of fun on a 6lb rig. I set my TM on super low and cast a shoreline for bass once, and it probably would have worked fine if the crappie had left it alone. Lesson learned.

"G"
06-23-2018, 05:14 AM
Good video

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Crappie.com Fishing mobile app (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=87936)

ET Fish
06-23-2018, 05:32 AM
Now I’ve got to try this!

wicklundrh
06-23-2018, 08:03 AM
Davis, try trolling them next to the weeds when you get a chance.

I did notice (as you mentioned) the hooks getting caught together. I've never really seen much of that on the millions of cranks it seems like I own. Did it happen a lot? If it is a great bait otherwise, I would consider switching treble hooks in the front if the problem continues.

jackie53
06-23-2018, 09:28 AM
Good video thanks some nice crappie.Like the nano fill for cranks 10-12 lb test.

Yak Fish
06-23-2018, 10:45 AM
I love pulling small cranks after a cold front when the size of the strike zone shrinks and crappie won't chase much. If you can find some Yo Zuri Snap Shads, they're extremely hard to beat. After seeing this, I plan on adding a few Arkie Shads to the arsenal. Thanks for the video.

Jim

Grainraiser
06-23-2018, 12:18 PM
My local Walmart had those crankbaits on clearance for $1 a few months ago. I purchased all they had which was 16 I believe. After seeing your video I need to give them a try. Thanks for sharing.

Boa3
06-23-2018, 05:10 PM
That looked like a good time.

floppingcrappie
06-24-2018, 07:42 PM
Davis, try trolling them next to the weeds when you get a chance.

I did notice (as you mentioned) the hooks getting caught together. I've never really seen much of that on the millions of cranks it seems like I own. Did it happen a lot? If it is a great bait otherwise, I would consider switching treble hooks in the front if the problem continues.

It only happened a couple times. And some else commented in the video about switching to a smaller treble hook in the front. I have never had an issue with other smaller crankbaits either.

floppingcrappie
06-24-2018, 07:43 PM
I love pulling small cranks after a cold front when the size of the strike zone shrinks and crappie won't chase much. If you can find some Yo Zuri Snap Shads, they're extremely hard to beat. After seeing this, I plan on adding a few Arkie Shads to the arsenal. Thanks for the video.

Jim

I'll have to try some of the Yo Zuri Snap shads.

Mikie
06-24-2018, 11:27 PM
I like Grainraiser found these baits on sale for $1 at Walmart and thought I would try them out on a stretch of rip rap. It was not spring and I did not catch any crappie but the saugeyes were eating them up if the bluegill didn't get to them first. Only problem was the saugeyes were bending the hooks a lot so I had to replace them with stronger ones but they are fish catchers.

Crestliner08
06-25-2018, 11:33 AM
Nice video! Instead of anchoring, did you consider drifting with the wind and letting it's speed troll your baits? You could still use the pull & stop retrieve, but you could cover a lot more water that way. Just a thought.

floppingcrappie
06-25-2018, 12:15 PM
Nice video! Instead of anchoring, did you consider drifting with the wind and letting it's speed troll your baits? You could still use the pull & stop retrieve, but you could cover a lot more water that way. Just a thought.

I did try that at first, but the wind was pushing my boat too shallow. The reason I anchored was to consistently cast along the weed edge.

Dutch552
06-26-2018, 09:50 AM
I push those small Arkies with good success. I replace the rear hook with a #6 Eagle Claw treble. I can't find that it alters the action at crappie trolling speeds and has drastically improved the number of fish that I bring into the boat versus coming unbuttoned next to the boat before I can net them.